Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own airgun case

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default My own airgun case

During the beginning of December 2007, I started shopping around for a gun case to fit my HW97K. I needed the case purely because I couldn't fit my rifle with the hamster attached into a gun carry bag. (Yes I know I could have removed the damn hamster but I dont want to remove it every time...)

I started shopping around a bit on the net and in almost every gunshop in and around PTA. I was quoted prices in the region of anything between R800 (half case) to almost R3000 (double case) and really couldn't understand the neccessity for such a REDICULOUS price for a few pieces of Aluminum and plastic, and obviously some sponge...

Following this I decided to make my own Double rifle case, to my own specifications. I made it from pine plywood which I stained dark and sealed.

My case is 120cms x 40cms x 11 cms. All lined with the casing foam and it is lockable. Only drawback it it is obviously not watertight, but that wasn't one of my requirements.

It set me back the full amount of R200 for some stain, locks and a handle.

My intention with this post is to advise you guys to maybe try and make it yourself instead of paying rediculus amounts of money for the readily obtainable item. Unless you want to obviously.

Regards

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So how about a photo for us to see?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I aggree here with blizard. I used some merati and laminated my own wood. Cost a bit more but then I recon it looks a bit better than pine. Takes time but is straight forward to make. Unless of course you want a case made, then you could always ask at a cost...

JT[br]<div class='spacer'>[img:width=800&height=485]../../Deadlinks/public/1200491071_701_FT43381_caseback.jpg[/img]</div>

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

BTW. Also thinking of using some shutter pine for my next one. I will certainly not feel bad about bumping it. Only question is how heavy did it end up? must be quite a few kg's?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nice gun case by the way, mine looks like a coffin! at

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

well andrew, that one is not nice yet.. only made it to see if I can. Real one's will be from beech staned to Walnut Put in your order if you want to get rid of your coffin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Let me know how much you are going to charge.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I need to know dimensions 1st. I will also line the inside with poly ethelene which will be cut to your gun's size.

JT

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

oo and one more thing.. it will be stainless/alu not brass as I find it imposseble to get brass latches

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My gun is huge, hence the coffin impgrin

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

haha.. generally if there is no funny stuff the case could end up costing bout R1500-R2000. wood alone is over R500

but hey I may be pursuaded to work for a pcp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I can't work with wood. I love steel. You can repair your errors. Nice case though.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I hear you goose.. I love wood cause it feels alive to me. it is like you have to treat it gently like a woman..ok some dont treat women like that.. but you get what I say am sure

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

JTK, very nice looking guncase. You can be proud of your creation.

It is a pitty that we cannot fly with such a case, seeing how they manhandle our cases on the aircraft. Our "strong" cases took a battering, when we went to the USA

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

very true. I feel it every time it bumps but that has got to do a lot with how soft meranti is. Beech will be much more durable. But yes, to fly with it in a hold.. mmm.. I think one can maybe make a bag for the case for flights?