Thread: Refurbished Cylinders, tested, serviced, filled.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Refurbished Cylinders, tested, serviced, filled.

Hi guys, I sell refurbished cylinders. I go through cylinders quite fast so it is best to contact me to find out what I have available right now.

All my cylinders are either Hydro tested recently or is within three years of the next hydro test. I always respray my cylinders regardless of what they look like when I get them. In most cases they are in as new condition when I sell them. I have certificates for most of my cylinders.

Where do I get the cylinders from?
    I am a PADI Dive Master and have a lot of contacts in the scuba diving industry all over the country.

How are these cylinders tested?
    Valves are inspected or serviced depending on the condition. A certified professional with 20 years experience visually inspects the inside of the cylinder for any obvious faults, this includes looking for severe rust, cracked necks, failed cylinders that where welded, damaged threads etc... The cylinders are then filled with water and then over pressurized to about 4/3 its normal operating pressure (About 120 bar over). Some Aluminum cylinders are prone to cracks, these cylinders will split open at the neck when Hydro tested. If the cylinder displaces a set amount of water under testing pressure it is scraped.

What happens if a cylinder fails?
    I drill a hole in it and sell it as scrap metal. If a cylinder fails while in use it destroys everything withing 10m and a criminal investigation will be set into action. Cylinder failures are very rare, most failures occur during hydro testing. I will not fill my own cylinders if I did not trust them.

How often do you have to Hydro test a cylinder?
    Once every four years, if used as a filling station you have to send it in for visual inspection every two years, if used for scuba it has to be visually inspected every year. Cylinders are also visual stamped when they are hydro tested.

Where can I take my cylinder for inspection and hydro testing?
    You can bring it to me, your cylinder will be ready a few days later.

Aluminum or Steel?
    Both have their cons and pros, aluminum does not really rust. Aluminum rust is very easy to get rid of and is never severe. Steel is a bit more compact because the walls are thinner, a 10l aluminum is about the same size as a 12l steel. Both are equally suited for pcp refill.

The cylinders below where sold a long time ago, but it will give you a good idea of what you can expect.

Contact Rainer:
    Rainerfilm@gmail.com
    0842657160 (call any time of any day before 10pm)
    822 Frhensch street Moreleta Park Pretoria.

Please specify what valve you need. There are two types; 1. DIN, screws into the valve 2. Yoke, Clamps on around the valve. Also please specify the max operating pressure of your pcp rifle. Do not underestimate the pressure in these cylinders, if you over fill your pcp rifle it can explode and rip your arm off. The average cylinder holds 2400 liters of air and expels a force of 220 kg per square cm inside the cylinder.

Refill stations with gauge and bleed valve will be available soon.

Questions? Scuba Cylinder Testing and Fills Directory

Last edited by Rainerfilm; 28-10-13 at 01:35.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi guys, it has been a while since I have posted. This is my compressor, it is not a cheap compressor and it is in an exceptionally good condition. I am going to offer airfills to you guys at a special rate.

Normally I ask R60, you guys will pay only R40 per air fill.

My compressor is very well maintained, the compressor has a fill timer so I know exactly when to change my filter. I have been trading in cylinders for five years now and I can confirm that a bad compressor can destroy a good cylinder very easily.

There are several stages of filtration that the air goes through with my compressor. First stage is a normal air filter to remove dust from the air. The second stage is a low pressure moisture trap, this moisture trap removes around 90% of the moisture in the air. From the Low Pressure moisture filter the air goes to a float piston that floats on 50 bars of oil pressure, this piston boosts the pressure from 50 bar to 300 bar. From the float piston the air goes to a larger 330 bar moisture trap with two different moisture compartments, this moisture trap removes most of the oil from the float piston and the remaining moisture that is still trapped in the air. At this point the air goes through filt > Molecular sieve > filt > Activated carbon > filt > Molecular sieve >Activated carbon > filt. At this stage, all impurities are removed and the air is suitable for scuba diving.

You can be rest assured that the air quality is extremely good. I will soon install three massive 300 bar air banks, when installed air fills will only take a few seconds. I will never overfill a cylinder for any customer.

My address is 822 Frhensch str Moreleta Park Pretoria, my contact number is 0842657160.

Used Scuba Diving Cylinders:

I also trade in used scuba diving cylinders, I guarantee my cylinders for a full year (Until the next inspection date). For the guarantee to be valid, you have to make use of a reliable filling facility and you have make use of a specified hydro facility on your cylinder certificate. Misuse does not count.

I only sell cylinders that are in date and filled. If you want to know more, please email or call me directly. Rainerfilm@gmail.com 0842657160, I am available seven days a week until 11 pm. I can also arrange courier to anywhere in SA.

NEW HYDRO FACILITY OPENING SOON:

We will soon open a new hydro testing facility. There will be a pickup point in Pretoria as well as in Johannesburg. We are simply re-opening an old SANAS approved Hydro Facility that operated in the 80's. The technical signatory for the hydro facility has over 15 years experience in this field. We hope to be up and running in a few months from now. We have to go through a lengthy inspection process before the facility will be approved.

I can still help with hydro tests and visual inspections, I make use of a temporary facility in Johannesburg. Price depends on the condition of the cylinder, if your cylinder fails it will be removed from service via drill bench... If we find time bombs we destroy them, end of story.

Standard visual inspection, air fill and certificate: R 160

Standard hydro test, air fill and certificate included: R 220

Additional charges may apply.