Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Master AR4 by Evanix

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Hunting Master AR4 by Evanix

Does anybody know the Hunting Master AR4 by Evanix? I saw an add and it looks impressive, performance wise and the price isnít bad either.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Beware of advertisements they are designed to lure people like yourself, pick up any airgun magazine, you will immediately notice that there are no bad rifles and they are all capable of amazing feats of accuracy and they are all of the highest quality no matter how cheap.

Do you honestly believe that the dealers who advertise bad rifles give a toss about you and the bitter taste you will have in your mouth after believing the tripe that they have fed to you. Furthermore do you think that they would be forthcoming about all the comebacks they have had or the rubbish triggers fitted to many of their lower end products.

Do yourself a favour and ask on this forum before buying anything no matter how sweet the deal appears to be. I along with many others have been caught when starting up and money has been wasted time and again. Use this forum as a tool, it will cost you nothing and we dont want your money.

From what I have heard those rifles aren't great but maybe someone else can better advise you, you will also notice that nobody appears to have bought one. BTW how much did they want for the AR4 and dont forget charging gear and the like.

Lastly this post was not harshly intended I,m just trying to help you out, money doesn't grow on trees and refunds are extremely unlikely.

Good luck

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

wise words

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

well... the funny thing is... none of anyone acutally tried it in this forum but simplely just don't like it....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The AR4 actually isn't a badly made rifle, all in all. I would venture to say that it is better made than the BAM50/51 rifles. The AR4 has a decent looking wood stock with gauge and the blueing is of a high standard.

The trigger is much the same as the BAM's, a metal gold plated number.

The main "issue" with the AR4 is that it is different. It uses a small rotary six shot "magazine" which looks much the same as the cylinder of a revolver. The action is bolt or lever but operated by pulling the trigger, exactly the same a double action revolver. You can fire all six pellets off quite quickly simply repeatedly squeezing the trigger.

For more accurate shots and for greater power you can cock the hammer back into "single action", which like a revolver makes the trigger squeeze lighter & shorter. This also gives a full charge of power, rated at around 1200ft/s with an 8gr pellet.

Firing full power (single action only) you only get about 24/30 shots per fill but then at that type of velocity what does one expect?

Accuracy isn't that bad, although it does depend on pellet design & weight (obviously).

The AR4 got a half decent review by Koos Barnard in the Man Magnum magazine a while back. His biggest gripe was the noise and the high use of air, which is actually normal for that power output.

I would say the AR4 isn't a competition or target rifle but rather designed purely with hunting in mind. With it's power it fills that niche well.

User Info Menu

(in short) i have tested this rifle a few years back when a big company wanted to import them.
    its not accurate ;trigger is terrible yes it does have power there is no back up!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

As Sniper mentioned, there is no local backup that we are aware of. However, saying this you may want to ask Geoffrey at bulldog.co.za as he is selling them locally. It is possible that he provides local backup. Jim Chapman's review of the Evanix is probably the most synonymous. You can read his review of the AR6 .22 at www.americanairgunhunter.com/ar6.html
    You will also notice in his review that it does not give 25 full power shots, only 10. Unless you believe that over 25-30 shots, an ES (extreme spread) of 230fps is acceptable! Based on all the reviews worldwide, the BAM scores much higher ratings then the Evanix. As an owner and tuner of BAM's, I personally rate them very highly and I also have an Air Arms (just incase you think I'm bias). If I wanted to purchase an Evanix, I would insist on 2 things first.
    1) Assurance of local backup
    2) Test shoot at the range

my 2c worth...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Koos is a very good essayist and hunter but about airguns he knows next to nothing.

User Info Menu

i agree with gerrief unless you give him 1 to keep he he

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

Me too agree with GerrieF!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I suddenly started thinking about lemons, wierd!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I started thinking about steaming coils...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

So it is not just me wondering why Magnum insists on letting a centre rifle shooter give 'expert' reports on classy air rifles ?
    There is another dude by the name of John Beddoes that writes articles on airguns for Magnum. I don't know him from a bar of soap, but I like his articles and it certainly looks like he REALLY understands airguns.
    Back to the topic, who owns one and is willing to gve honest test reports with proof ?
    Speed means nothing if you don't know where the bullet is going. So we'd like to know about:Price, accuracy, backup,maintenance and cost of spare parts..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

from what I read on the overseas forums they are to be avoided .... I do not think Nicholas Yale has sold many

does anyone on this forum actually own one??