Thread: What Chrony??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What Chrony??

Not the old type, I mean ballistic type . Can you guys please let me know what to buy or not to buy? Have not seen any price lists I have received .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Tomcat, i'm not sure if this is the ballistic type or not, isn't the ballistic chronograph a normal chronograph with ballistic software? Anyway, a while ago i went through the same exercise, looking for a chronograph, but this was before i got into air rifles. It was for my centre fire rifle because i had to develop my own loads. Everybody i spoke to recommended the Oehler chronographs.

The reason for recommending the Oehler was because it has 3 light screens which according to them give a more accurate reading and that the light screens are seperate from the chronograph, so in the unfortune event of your aim being out you would not hit the chronograph itself. It may sound silly, but in centre fire rifles you have to put the skyscreens farther forward so that the muzzle blast does not affect the reading, so it becomes easier to hit the chronograph by mistake.

I don't know if you have a centre fire rifle, but if you want a chronograph for both air rifles and centre fire rifles i would recommend the Oehler, a bit pricey but worth it.

If it is just for air rifles i'm not sure because i'm new to this game and have a lot to learn, but that is why i'm here. I just thought i would share my personal experience, hope it helped.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks very much. Will google for details of the oehler. Would be particularly useful to find one which can connect to my laptop to download the strings.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You could also look at Shooting Stuff
    http://www.shootingstuff.co.za

They have some pretty fancy CED chrony's (hook up to PC, log all sort's of stuff, etc). Check out their pricelist for all options 'n stuff. They also have entry level chronotech's

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

the oehler is a fine piece of equipment(3.5k)
    the normal chrony f1 will set you back about R750 and will do both air and centre fire rifles and also have back up

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

The Chrony Master Series has the Skyscreens separate from the unit. Therefore if you do make a mistake it is not too costly. I have used both the Chrony's and the Oehlers for going on 15 years. I have run them side by side as well as in line and they are within a few fps of each other.

Chrony is the choice if money is an issue. Oehler is a nice to have unit!