Thread: Scuba tank refills and checks at Dräger in Cape Town

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Default Scuba tank refills and checks at Dräger in Cape Town

Dear all

Just a reminder to keep your visuals and hydro's in date for your refill equipment...... Service at Dräger in Stikland (La Belle Drive) has moved some 300m from where they were and indicated by the map below....

Their prices are R 30.- for a refill, R 150.- for a full hydro and visual check, and R 120.- for a visual only..... Above prices include VAT.....
    Just as a reminder, the visuals are compulsory every year for SCUBA tanks (used underwater) and every second year for SCBA (surface breathing only).
    Hydro testing will be done every four years and any (responsible) dive shop will refuse to fill it if the cylinder is out of date......

I have always had good service from these people and that is why I would recommend them for these compulsory services.
    You can always have all your testing done at the local dive centre, but they will not be authorised to check the cylinders themselves and will have to send it to service stations such as Dräger to have it done, corresponding to much higher costs to the end user......
    Dräger will fill to the working pressure of the cylinder, be it 208bar, 232bar or 300 bar.....
    How does these costs compare to similar services upcountry.........?????

malan

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I also take my cylinders there and always receive friendly top notch service!!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks malan mine is due for the inspections so will make use of them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I drop my tank at Orca in Claremont and they know me well already and provide what you might call an extra service. I simply drop my tank and they know to fill the tank and let it settle and then top it up again. ( because of the heat generated when filling so I get a proper fill for those of you who dont know)

They also realised that they were for the most part only topping my tank up unlike divers who drain them further so they only charge me every second visit which I thought was very good of them and why I continue to support them.

They appear to be very strict and professional and the one day I was present when a customer asked them to overfill a tank, he was met with much dissaproval and told that tanks do not get overfilled for safety reasons.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Andrew
    That is great to hear some establishments still regard safety as a high priority.... I would hate to hear of a malfunction and related accident as a result of improper use of filling equipment..... As a matter of interest, I have an idea that a few scuba tanks will now become available as second-hand units, especially with the strict diving control measures implemented by Marthinus (kortbroek) van Schalkwyk and Company.....!!!!
    Come on you guys north of the Jukskei river, share us your experiences with servicing of your scuba equipment....

malan

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Drager in Johannesburg informed me during December, in writing at the time, that they were no longer doing any form of testing or filling of scuba cylinders. I was then referred by them to PJ Edwards for the testing.

It was quite pleasant doing business with PJ Edwards I was told by the chap to take a seat and he performed the hydro and visual and then refilled the cylinder for me all within about 40 minutes. Charged me R175-00 for the test and R25-00 for the fill.

I normally have my scuba cylinders filled locally and I cannot complain about the service. I drop off late in the afternoon and pickup early next morning.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Thanks, Importer
    Now at least we can compare apples with apples.....
    Sad to hear about Dräger in Joh'burg, but you at least have an alternative..... Your price compares well with our quote of R 180.- for the same deal....

malan

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

That is just around the corner from me, never even knew about them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Malan, this thread was extremely useful to a rank amateur. I thought the inspection was a voluntary safety thing. I assume the two years (surface breathing) applies to PCP tanks - which makes my sons due in a month or 2.

Durbs fellows. Where does one go in Southern KZN. I would be coming in from Kokstad. Assume I would have to courier it to someone.

As a metter of interest, what happens if you had slipped up and not done it on time. Example, if a diver wanted to but my tank which was last inspected April/May 2006.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Malan.. do you know if Drager is open on Saterdays?
    thanks
    JT

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I fill mine close to my place of work at Tableview Hardware. Incendently the diving section also falls under Orca in Claremont and the visuals and Hydro checks are still done by the Claremont branch.

Cost me R30 to refill and R85 + R30 (for refill) for visual check.

Thanks Malan for the info. Dager is very close to my house.

Good question JTK, Malan are they open of Saturdays?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

MJC where do you work? I live just down the road.. Great to know.. forgot about the diving shop there.. Exactly 2.5km from my driveway

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

MCJ & JTK

I am not sure, just give them a call on (021) 945 4241....
    The workshop might be open, but if they have a lot of cylinders to service, you may have to wait before it can be filled.....
    As a matter of interest, the Dräger company is an internationally accredited testing facility, whereas the Orca setup does not have full accreditation, according to my sources of information.....

Werner

To answer your question is simple.... A reputable dive shop will not fill the cylinder if it is out of date, whether it be visual or hydro...... If you plan to sell it, you normally get a much better price if it is in-date..... I would be hesitant to buy a second-hand bottle (especially aluminium) if it is out of date for hydro..... You could end up buying a lemon, and get the bottle back as rejected.....!!!!! If you sell it as in-date for inspection, you and the buyer are confident that it is in good condition and serviceable.....
    Safety of these pressure vessels must be taken seriously.....!!!!

malan

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Thanks Malan, Was just planning on using Orca to fill as it is almost on my doorstep Drager to test..