Thread: Night vison Scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Night vison Scope.

I am looking to buy a NV riflescope. Has been adviced to use the NVMT 2 with IR laser. Is this option viable? Are there any one that are using NV scopes?
    Any 2 nd hand scopes available?
    Any advice will be appreciated.

Want to use on rats/rabbits.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm currently using a digital NV monocule for my night sessions. I use it for spotting and then switch over to my rifle-n-redlight to finish the job. I'm using this strategy, cause scanning a area with rifle mounted NV becomes a real pain ( imagine a day hunting session where ONLY you use the riflescope for ALL vision....for hours!!!). Sure, I've missed a few opportunities due to rats running off during the switching or light-on phase, but at least I'm able to track them for a period of time on then nail them eventually. I'll most probably get a a dedicated NV rifle scope to improve on the execution stage and for some ambushing on baited areas where scanning is minimal.

NV is pricy, there's no denying it, but for me it's worth it as I shoot more at night than day. The rifle mounted mon + lazer is "alright" for open closeup areas, but can get irritating in shrubby/leafy or long grass areas as the beam gets constantly obstructed ( this can lead to false point of aim too ). You really want a reticle somewhere. If you really want to use the NVMT on a rifle, use this Yukon scope adapter instead:
    http://main.yukonopticsglobal.com/pr...iflescope.html
    Way better and together with a decent illuminator you can shoot from further ranges. Only downside is your head position is quite far to the back.

Caution about 2nd Hand NV scopes. I would not recommend them at all, as almost all (excluding digital) affordable (less then 10K) ones are GEN1 types. GEN1's get damaged by exposure to bright light, which seriously decreases life time. You don't know how much bright light the scope has been exposed to before the previous owner decided to sell it. This can lead to some serious disappointment.

ps: Currently the only dedicated NV rifle scopes in SA (that I found) in the 5-7K area are the Yukon NVRS's (Only seen older models, newer ones with AO much better), and the ones from ECMtech ( http://www.ecmtech.co.za/vis3_riflescopes.html ). Also older, but the Newcon 156 still has the highest line resolution in this class and still has a good rep in the UK. Judging by how finicky these things can be sometimes, it is advisable to get one with local support. Me, for airgunning, I'd rather go for the dayscope/NV add-on option for more optic versatility on smaller prey at range.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK . Thanks
    330 Warrior looks like the toy for the job. (Bit better construction with good IR light)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Also remember that most NV rifle scopes are weaver mounted, so you'll need to get a dovetail-to-weaver adapter too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

And you also have to be a good range guesstimator. Mine has x-hairs but I have no idea how far to target.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

LOL, So true. Depth perception go bye-bye. I was doing a short range session with rifle zeroed at +-5m. I was tracking this rat in a bush in front of me, and when he finally stopped at a shootable position, I quietly switched to my rifle and switched the light on. Lo and behold the rat was +-1.5 to 2m's away!!! I missed. Lesson learned on mapping a shoot before you start.