Thread: Gamo CFX tuned

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default Gamo CFX tuned

Did the CFX today.. Macarri Terantula spring and seal. Turned a new 2 piece hat for it and heatshrinked the guide to the right thickness. She dieseled a bit on the 1st few shots but is settling down now after about 10 or so.. Pitty about the dieseling but am sure it is just a little grease that made it to the front of the seal and should be gone now. Will shoot her a bit tomorrow to see how she feels now.[br]<div class='spacer'>[img:width=984&height=987]../../Deadlinks/public/1203187058_701_FT0_cfx_tophat.jpg[/img]</div>

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Stripped her down again and re lubed.. Much better now. Just a sharp snap. Will see tomorrow how accuracy is but I think it ill be spot on!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

What have you done and why ?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Allan, generally speaking the tophats of spring guns are bulk manufactured so they are not mated to the spring and usually are pretty loose in the piston as well. And given that I ordered a spring that has even larger diameter than stock, the tophat was even looser. Also the rear spring guide is the main cause for twangyness when loose. So what I did was put heatshrink over the guide to get the spring to fit snugly. You should realy turn a new guide from something but I did not feel up to it. Also the hat was made to fit perfectly in the piston and also snug in the pring. This shouldmake it fire like a TX200 which it does I think. Quick snap with no vibrations. Also I made the tophat in two pieces that can rotate on each other to take away from the rotational force than the uncoiling spring would pass onto the piston wanting to twist the rifle in your hands (torqing the gun) when fired.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Like a TX200. I must say that you will have to prove to me.The Gamo range of guns have such bad triggers I think it overshadows everything else.I would love to tune my Gamo but every time I think about it i think I should rather just buy a better gun.

I had a few shots with a gamo that had a Theoben gas ram in it.What a nice firing cycle.Still a poor trigger though .

I have tined my S400.And cant say I look forward to ever pulling a springer apart.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I have the GRTIII from Charlie DaTuna in my CFX. Best R200 spent. Makes all the difference. But My CF30 has a stock trigger that I tuned to a glas break. Prefer it much better for 'hunting" scenarios as the GRTIII turns to a quazy 2 stage which is perfect if you can take your time for a shot and is 100% predictable on break and also very light.. Anyways. I am making the comparison but would not realy know.. Will ask one of the guys at the next shoot if I can shoot their TX200 and be able to make a better comparison. But this is chalk and cheese with a stock gamo trigger.. To tune the stock trigger is pretty easy at that. will take you an hour for a full polish

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

The TX200 and HW97 are both smashing guns to start with from the box.Sure they too can benefit from a tune.

I think it all comes down to what you can spend and what you are willing to do.

I work on machines all day long and the last thing I want to do at home is open my toolbox.

I had an Appy that had a CFX.He loved my 440 and after shooting with his I knew why.You had to pull the trigger so hard the gun started to shake.

I have mixed feelings on tuned triggers.There are some guys out there that put others at risk with their tuned triggers.Load the gun, bump it and the shot goes off.

Those of us with PCP's are spoilt with our light crisp triggers.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

very true.. some tuned triggers are very dangerous. I try and stay away from tuning it that fine. With the GRTIII the trigger seer has full engaugement. You pull the 1st stage and it takes the seer to a adjuastable spot which typically is right at the break point. This is why I suggest it for target shooting. You can take up the 1st stage once lined up. Get your breething under control then break the shot. The CF30 has polished contact points and a longer adjustment screw. Taken to where it does not cock and 1/2-3/4 turn out. This is fine but does not go off on a bump.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I see where my N/S 8-32 Platinum Nighteater went .
    NJOY!!!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

your nighteater??? you mean my nighteater

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

hehehehe,

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I will let you look through it from time to time