Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Grobler Cutlery - Starting to get real...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I might build a forge one-day. Steel has just got so hot I had steam come from it when I put water on. Lesson learnt.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBeast View Post
    Is there a test for metal quality? I'm sitting at a mate's house and her Dad has old tractor scraps all over the place. I'm tempted to scoop some.
    You will need samples of the steel to be tested, a cutting torch (or forge), a magnet, a file and a pair of pliers and 5 liters of old engine oil in a metal container (just about any oil will do, even cooking oil). Test the steel with the magnet to make sure it is magnetic. Heat the steel up with the cutting torch (or forge) while holding it with the pliers (pref old pliers) and test periodically with the magnet. As soon as the magnet doesn't stick anymore (the steel should be orange unless you are in direct sunlight), drop it in the oil. The oil will sizzle and smoke and could catch fire (not massively, think olympic torch), this is normal and is best done outside. After about 5 minutes remove the sample (the oil may be hot, and the sample may still be hot too - pliers and gloves). Gently try to file the material. If the file does not cut it (it should just slide over with little resistance), the steel has hardened and will probably be suitable for a knife blade.

On the other hand just about any leaf spring will work for knife making, so a scrap yard may be a good place to find steel. Alternatively buy some 5160 spring steel. 5160 is cheap, easy to work, hardens well and is very forgiving on heat treatment (it will rust though if not cared for). You don't want to spend many hours making something beautiful only to realize that it will never cut anything more substantial than butter. I have forged a knife from an old mill bar to decent effect (i.e. it holds an edge), but i have forged two others out of what proved to be mild steel (or something equivalent) and ended up with pretty paper weights.
    Last edited by Chucky; 23-03-14 at 19:54.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Mmm... this looks a little dangerous... but maybe I'll risk putting a belt on it... tiiiiiiny wobble

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Wow Chucky, you know your stuff!

Wobbles or a shakes haha

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Shakes,

If you need help - I'm in Pta North. Just shout!

Cheers

Jacques

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Tomkat... knifemakers are the most helpful people I know... even more helpful than airgunners that help you shoot your target. A new friend is offering me a new drivewheel with a sleeve to fit, this was just a proof of concept done the hack way... but if things dont work out Id be glad to call you... I am just getting impatient with things so I spend time with kids in the garage trying out new things...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Spent some time at kmts today...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Nice I got my belts this week. Keen to carry on tomorrow.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Children woke me at 3 and I was thinking knives since then... two japanese like petty knife designs is the result...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Very nice. I love Japanese kitchen knives. I have a carbon steel sashimi knife coming from Japan soon. Picked it up of an auction.
    Worst case I will use it as a blank. What thickness steel are you using?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi snowbeast this is 3mm 14c28n... I actually have some 4mm 14c28n that is wide enough for larger knives... I am going to experiment with grinds on these... am thinking symmetrical flat or convex... maybe hollow grind too... because i think you really need laminated carbon and mildsteel to really use the traditional bevels... I hope they cut well....

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I'm sure they going to look good.
    I've seen some really cool Damascus forged deba knives.
    I'm not too familiar with the types of grinds. Right now I'm working on cutting out the shape.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Shakes,

Your practise round will be an expensive one if you are going to use those steels. You can get laser cut mild steel blanks from Herbst Knives in Pta to practise on think somewhere in the region of R30 if my memory serves correct.

Good luck!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You have a point... I have some old n690 laser cuts that I'll rather practice on then...

I remember why I thought a bandsaw an essential knifemaking tool...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ahaaa... mild steel... I have a few lengths in the garage... thanks for the info...