Thread: Tophat weights

Protea FT Team '16
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Default Tophat weights

I was wondering how does the tophat weight affect the rifles performance.

I see some are lighter than others, what is the effects of a lighter one compared to a heavier one.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My understanding is that the top hat sits at the hammer end of the spring (Butt End), and as such serves only to keep the back end of the spring centralised. Cannot see how weight plays any part in it's function. I have turned top hats out of nylon and used them successfully.
    If I am wrong and you are referring to the end that sits in the piston, then that would have the same effect as mags on a car - reduce the weight thereby reducing the mass which the spring must push, and then stop at the other end. So could contribute to less recoil, due to less momentum.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Tomcat, the tophat sits in the piston.

Hi Falco, weight changes on the tophat affect performance in the following way.. obviously within reason. Increase the weight and you increase fps but at the expense of more recoil (rearward and forward) and also you increase the chance of getting piston slam = bad. Decrease the weight and you decrease fps but at the expense of maybe getting piston bounce because of not enough momentum = bad. I would not realy play with changing the weight as the manufacturer would have the right weight in there to get the best balance. You should however turn a new hat of the same weight to match it to the spring and piston. This wil ensure that the tophat keeps the spring centred and does not rattle around in the bottom of the piston.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The spring guide sits at the rear and the tophat sits in the piston. Heaver tophat results in more FPS. Works the same as heavy flywheels compared to light flywheels. Light accellerates quicker but heavy holds the force better. If you suddenly stop both weights of flywheel the heavy one will spin longer as it retains more energy. Another example is to hit your thump with a small hammer and a big hammer using the same amount of force in each blow. Which is going to do more damage?