Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Wind

Thought I would share this with you guys.

The effect wind has on a bullet

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Interesting... just a question though, would this be true for the full length of your trajectory or more so on your bullet ascent or descent, particularly for headwind situations?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

full length of your trajectory

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also had it like that more or less. Interesting. More credit for Sniper cause he taught me this almost a year ago. Maybe that's why he is our top gun for quite a long time now.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wind really works on my nerves. Of all the things one has to learn about shooting, wind is the worst. I still rely on the miss to tell me whats happening down range when the sighting range isn't in the same direction as the targets and the grass is too short to give me a clue.

It's worse still when we shoot at ranges which have bordering walls on the left and right. This causes the wind to swirl in the first lane and the last lane so effectively the pellet gets pushed left and then right in lane 1 and right and left in lane ten and the other hassle is gusty winds or inconsistant winds.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Help me out here, please, this is the first time i've seen this. What is the spread across that chart at different distances. Obviously it would depend on the strength of the wind, but lets say it is an average breeze. And how much does velocity and pellet weight affect it?

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

tomcat give me a call i will explain it to you

Dirk Engel's Avatar Dirk Engel

But is this image shown with wind from the sides or from all directions, cause if you get wind from the back or front your pellet will be higher or lower as well....?

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

a very intresting web site re wind see: [link=hyperlink url]http://team40x.com/wind/index.html[/link]

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hook up with Chairgun, they have a wind factor function but only side winds. Don't know how accurate it is, but will give you a general idea.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Does pellet velocity affect performance in the wind. While an FAC .177 may have a very flat trajectory, does it in fact get affected more by the wind due to it's higher speed (More wind resistance to overcome?)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Trajectory is more influenced by weight of the pellet and the time it takes to get to the target.

a faster pellet of the same weight should be influenced less because there is less time the wind can affect the pellet.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Arnold, I disagree.
    I think a faster pellet will have a flatter trajectory, but be influenced by the wind more, as the effects of air resistance increases exponentially with an increase in speed.

Its not the time that the wind is acting on the pellet, but rather the amount of air hitting the pellet, and for a given distance this would be the same. The only diffirence being the faster pellet hitting the wind at a higher rate of speed.
    if E=MC2 then the energy or force acting on the pellet will increase exponentially with an increase in speed, while the time that this force is applied only decreases linearly.

This is just a theory, not much practical experience, except for my dad's 222remington wich was a lot more sensitive to wind than the .22

If my theory is correct, then a heavier pellet at the same speed would of course be much less affected by wind.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I aint no scientist or ballistic expert but I'm sure the the amont of time the projectile spent in the wind would have have a big effect on it, more time in the wind , more effect from the wind. Someone must have a formula for this.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

As usual i'm wrong, just read the site from nickswin, thats why I ain't a scientist or ballistic expert!