Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Position for different stances?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Scope Position for different stances?

Hi Guys, Can't seem to find the right position for the scope on my S400. If I set it for sitting position then it seems too far on standing etc. Any one got any magic solutions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just take in consideration the amount of shots really taken from standing, kneeling and your freestyle....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Your face should be on the same sport, no matter what position you are shooting in, that is in the middle of the cheek piece (back to front). Find that. Now shine a light from the front of the scope on to a piece of paper or your hand. Where the light concentrates into the smallest dot is were the spot on the cheek piece for your eye should be. Move the scope untill you have achieved this before tightening the screws on the mounts. You might need different mounts (off set mounts) to do that.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Thanks Gerrie. never knew about the flashlight trick.. will try that tonight.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerrie, you are a gem. Thats a really solid piece of useful advice. Will definitely give it a bash this afternoon.
    One of those "why didn't I think of that" - makes so much sense. Thanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I am starting to understand why the "mecano kit" adjustable everything type rifles are so much easier to shoot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

TomCat,
    I know there are a lot of people on here that would not agree with your comments or me about what I'm about to say now; but I'm not all bad, I just don't like to be taken for a fool or a ride and then shunted around, at my age. I don't suffer from sycophancy.

You are putting it correctly when you say "easier" not better. Most of them are very heavy with the scopes we fit for FT and although it fits you better it is difficult to handle (read standing shots, carry around) and they are but ugly. Most don't even resemble a rifle. Another thing that I'm going to be crucified for, again. But so be it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yep. agree - most of them are butt(sic) ugly. Which is why I liked the look of the ProTarget. Still looks like a rifle should, even with the bells & whistles...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would use this method the other way round. first see where your eye goes and then move the scope to fit. Because people use different shooting positions and are built differently, your head might not be comfortable in the exact middle of the cheekpiece.

The scope should be set up so that if you take the rifle and close your eyes, now get in a confortable position, when you know open your eyes you should be looking through the scope. The method gerrief describes sounds to me like it might force you in an uncomfortable position.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think the "exact middle of the cheek piece" should be taken lightly. We are all built diferently and some guys might not "fit" that sugestion, but the general idea seems to be good one for determining optimum position in respect of scopes "eye relief" zone...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes the method is sound, I would just suggest to find your eye position and move the scope accordingly and not the other way round.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Arnold,
    You are correct, that is what I tried to say. Find the spot for your face on the cheek piece and ajust the scope so that your eye is at the spot where the concentrated light shone. It's a trick I learned from my shooting instructor in the army and it is called your "weld spot".

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

So all you do is use the flashlight to measure the exaact eye relief of your scope.. then use that distance to space it from your eye..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK,
    What you do is you find a comfortable position for your cheek as close as possible to the middle of the cheek piece, mark your eye's position, shine the light from the front and see how near you can get to your eye's position by moving the scope back or forward. Very fine tuning can be done by dialing the eye relieve at the back making very sure that you still have a clear reticle to work with. It is not imperative that you get it 100% on the spot but as near as dammit is good enough.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Gerrie, gonna try that tonight.. even if it is just to see if the scopeon my cfx is right. It does seem it must be right because she is dead accurate either that or I am a good shot.. I venture to believe that the scope is n the right place.