Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamo CFX Tune Up & trigger adj/fix

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Gamo CFX Tune Up & trigger adj/fix

Hi Guys. Need to know what kit to fit in a cfx. Have looked at the maccari site, but don't know which one is best. Any ideas. I know about the GRTIII trigger nad will order one if no-one has one for me...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Tomcat. Maccari does not have a tune kit for a gamo. What you can do is get the Terrantula. But then you need to turn yourself a new tophat and also make the guide thicker so that the spring fits properly alse it will twang. Also, dont expect it to shoot harder. Mine droped from 840is to 800 daed. But.. the firing sequence is much better and the fps range is much less as well.. Now it is a perfect FT gun. very consistant.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Consistency is way more important than power.
    Thanks JTK.
    Any idea where i get it from?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Maccari sells the terantula. Tophat you would need to ask a mate.. Just keep the tophat at 47grams.. there is a reason for that You may have to centre drill the hat to keep the weight down. It should have tight tolorances but still rotate freely in the piston and the spring. The guide can be snug in the spring. Take rough sandpaper and sand it(the guide) in a circular motion (to give the heatdhrink better grip) then use some heatshrink to get the right thickness. It should not come off and is also "self lubricating"

JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks JTK. Gun has arrived and is rough as a "you know what". Seems in good nick otherwise. But usual crappy trigger and plenty of twang and vibration.
    Now I really appreciate the HW97 and TX200. Any help appreciated ...Need to get this sorted to prove to the rest of the guys what can be done...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

1)You need to strip her down. (need a spring compressor for this) use a vise to make one.
    2)Clean her out with parafin and then meths
    3)De-bur all the sharp edges
    4)Use a break cylinder hone with fine stones and hone the reciever(compression chamber) lightly in a cross action.
    5)New seal
    6)If you want - turn a new tophat, same weight with tighter tolerances to the piston and spring. This makes a lot of difference to consistancy.
    7) rouphen up the guide and put heatshrink over it(one layer should be good to get the spring to sit snug) This helps with twang.
    8) take the trigger assembly and polish al the sear surfaces using a fine stone.
    9) clean out everything again with meths.
    10) use a touch of moly (ask at your local auto store for moly past (MS Grease is almost the same thing) on the tapered edge of the seal that faces away from the barrel. Use very little as to much will get in front of the seal causing diesel.
    11) put some moly on the tophat surface.
    12)take the spring and polish the ends to a mirror finish using waterpaper
    13) moly on the ends of the spring.
    14) If you can get hold of velocity tar put someon the pring. Very little just a light coat.If you cannot get hold of this use "red rubber grease" you can get at Midas.
    15) put the spring assembly together.If your spring has a kink put the kink to the top at the rear.
    16) put back togather
    17) replace the trigger adjustment screw with a longer one. adjust to where rifle does not cock then half a turn out(remember, this is fortarget shooting. The engaugement of the sear is very little at this point in time and dropping the rifle could make it go off - do at own risk)

This should make her a great shooter If it is twangy still then add some more tar/rubbergrease

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK, Thank you very much for the detailed info. Much appreciated. I have ordered a GRT111 trigger and tarantula spring, and lubes from Maccari. Will do all the cleaning and polishing in the meantime while I wait for delivery. Will have to ask around to see who has a lathe I can turn tophat on. Heat shield is a clever trick...
    Will post back on progress.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yeah, I would never have through of the heatshrink. my 1st thought would have been it will slide off with the 1st firing cycle. But some guys overseas have had them in for 1000's of rounds and taken the rifle appart and seen no wear. I though, go figure and put it in. Makes a difference. Good you getting the teratula. I just had to square mine off. I would have though this woulf be a qc thing they would do in the factory but no sweat. Take a grinder and square it off before you polish the ends. Just make sure you dont make it to hot on the grinder to mess with the way they tempered it in the shop. And if you put in the macarri I put on two layers of heatshrink to fit it properly. You may net need to depending on what thickness heatshring you get.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Got itchy fingers just reading this. Dying to go and get stuck in. But as my old man used to say - something worth doing is worth doing properly, so I'll try and be patient.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have had confirmation from all suppliers that the tune up stuff is on the way. Pretty good service, am impressed. And received immediate answers to email questions to them too.
    Going to start preparing her tomorrow. Hold Thumbs. determined to try and turn the ugly duckling into a swan of sorts. Just can't stand machinery that does not work properly...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would like to know how critical the weight is of the tophat.
    I know you told me once JT, but I didn't listen as I wasn't planning on turning one. Well I have turned one now, but didn't weigh it.
    What is the importance of the weight?

Thanks

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Quentin. CFX tophat = 47g The idea behind the tophat is to balance the forward power of the spring and the weight moving forward so that when you fire a pellet the piston does not slam into the front (too heavy) or bounce on the air cushion it created (too light). Both of these phenomenan are bad for the spring and the too heavy increase recoil and will increase fps. The idea is that the manufacturer has already worked out the weight of the tophat required to create that in their guns. I am sure some arent 100% but I think they are mostly there or there abouts. So when you turn a hat you should turn it the same weight imho.

Judging by your score the other day I think yours is just fine

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks JT, I will have to weigh mine somewhere and drill it I guess.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Quentin you will feel if she is not right. If she shoots fine then dont worry.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

FOR THE GRT TRIGGER TRY JOHN NEWMAN FROM PIONT BLANK SEL NO 0722429005. HE DID MY CFX AND WOOO WEEEE, GREAT