Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms scopes for air gun use.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Firearms scopes for air gun use.

More directed at guido than anyone else, your scope knowledge is required.

Are all scopes parallax adjustable to airgun ranges? From what I have read on the net, some rifle scopes are parallaxed out to say 100m minimum (okay I'm thumb sucking that range), would they be adjustable to say 15m? Or does it depend purely on the brand and model of scope if there's enough adjustement.

Was looking at this site, more particularly this scope and the thought crossed my mind.

http://www.ketmer.com/ketmer/ior?set...metry=4x3-1-12

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Scopes can be reparallaxed by anyone, but there are risks involved.
    Dale explained how to do it a few months back on the forum, can't remember the topic though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't want to know how to do it. I want to know if it can be done to any scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

As far as I know, it can be done - I once asked Mike (owner of Kolskoot in Randburg) to change the parallax setting on a scope I had just bough from his shop. It was a Lynx Scope (without a parallax adjustment ring) and it was factory set for full bore rifles at the usual 100m. I asked him to set it at 40 meters for my rimfire rifle - so it can be done.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip, can be done to most scopes.
    It's fairly easy unless you are ham fisted.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The paralax for most scopes are set to 100 m. What that means is that an object at 100m will focus on the crosshairs. If the object is at 75m or 150 m the the object that you see in the scope will focus either infront or behind the crosshairs.
    When you look through your scope at an object and you move your eye up and down or sideways and the object does not move in relation to the crosshairs your paralax are correct.

The next variable that must be taken in consideration is magnification. The bigger the magnification the smaller the depth of focus. This is a very important aspect for rangefinding. You can range find a lot more acurately with a 50X scope than a 9X scope.

If you want to have correct paralax settings all the time get a scope with at least 16x variable magnification and ajustable parralax settings. It does not help to set your fixed parralax scope at 20 m and then try to shoot at 30 m If your head is not excactly the same position everytime you shoot, your point of inpact will be different everytime.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

on the money.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Money being the most important part of buying a new scope. :<

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Careful with that 'most scopes' comment.

Certain top of the line sidewheel scopes require surgery. I know they are mega expensive, but scopes like the NXS Nightforce range require an internal mod. There are others I have come across which require more work than just a quick twist of the lens.

Neil

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What kind of work NeilM? DIY kinda stuff or have-to-send-it-away expensive kinda stuff?

Welcome to the board though. You're the bloke that did some reviews on neilg's site eh?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Avalon, Yes I write equipment reviews for a couple of UK mags and pass them to Neil G for you guys.

The 20-50x50 Leup's need a close focus mod to the actuating cam, which Nick Jenkinson can do, and so can Richard ( who's name is shortened to something that this system thinks is rude!) at Premier reticules. I have been told of other hi-mag bench rest scopes, both side wheel and front focus, which are too difficult to mod. Trouble is anno domini robs me of the names right now.

Jon, another UK shooter is on here, he has more knowledge than me on the subject. I was just warning that not ALL scopes can be made airgun suitable.

Glad to see the sport really taking off with you guys, and looking forward to meeting the team at this years World FT Champs.

Food for thought. Nick Jenkinson and Dale Foster have both won Regional shoots using modified S400's in .177. They DID have top line scopes on, but its the gun that controls the flight of the pellet. I have won regional and national HFT competitions with an S300 and an GC2, using a Tasco Varmint 10 mag scope.

Its not ALL gun, shooting skill counts too.

Have fun,
    Neil
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun May 01 2005, 10:28PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Very true, prolly 90% shooter and 10% gun.
    Thing is though when everything past 30m is in focus rangefinding becomes hit 'n miss to a large degree. Going to get a better scope soon - just weighing up my options in the mean time.
    Ta for the input though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

even the big nikko can do with some re-palallax.......
    thanks to jaime/lewis for showing me this........

eg. the gap between 45 to 50m was about 5mm on the side wheel..........after a quick twist, the gap is now 20mm, though now it only focus down to 11/12m.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Urabus,

speak to me about this (PM)