Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SPORTER FIELD TARGET - SFT - SAFTAA

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blouhond View Post
    So if I'm shooting SFT, and circumstances dictate that I'm paired with a FT shooter for what ever reason, he or she can give me all the exact distances of each target (advantages of having a 50x scope), this gives me no unfair advantage over other SFT shooters and is fully legal according to the rules....

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is to promote the division, not start a riot about rules.

There is a few things that need to be ironed out, same as with FT where rules are still upgraded and tweaked because you will always find people who try and bend the rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Total SS View Post
    The Rules state that SFT shooters will be pair together.

if there is an odd number of SFT shooters then 3 shooters will be added to one lane.
    Well, that clears it as well. Thanks Errol.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hey Guys

I'm not starting a fight or trying to bend rules - all is said very tongue in cheek...
    I'm very exited about shooting again....

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Rudi, what differentiates a 50x FT scope then? Cos there are "cheaper" 50x scopes available (Cor can add to this?)on the market which can be purchased to peruse the sport of FT. So what criteria are you going to use to determine if my rifle qualifies for SFT or FT class then, as this does not seem clear to me in the rules?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Shayne, it is still bit of a discussion. 50x is considered FT grade, even 40x is still FT grade in my opinion.

SFT use to be capped at 12x from what I understand. At this stage it is left to the event organizer to determine the mag for the day. This will enjoy more attention as the interest grow.

Personally I feel 24x should be the cut-off... my

Keep in mind what the idea is with the Sporter division is to allow guys with your typical PC/sillioutte/plinking rifle setup to complete in FT. Purpose build and setup FT rifle can compete in FT.

If you want to come and shoot SFT with a high power scope, I will ask you to turn your mag down to make it fair to the other SFT competitor. AND if the shooter wants to bend the rule, I will tape it up at low mag.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

From my interpretation of the rules, and there are very few specifically for SFT. The only determining factor wrt your equipment is the max 18fpe.
    I can see no reason why a standard FT legal rig cannot be used to shoot SFT if the shooter so desires. (like Mark said, then he can score a 50)
    Guess doing things that way would be a bit counter productive with the intentions of SFT, but it should be 'legal'. Basically doing HFT scoring on an FT course.
    For the juniors (<14) they get the added benefit of a bipod or similiar.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blouhond View Post
    Hey Guys

I'm not starting a fight or trying to bend rules - all is said very tongue in cheek...
    I'm very exited about shooting again....
    Excellent, looking forward to see you at the shoots Martin. Long over due

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    From my interpretation of the rules, and there are very few specifically for SFT. The only determining factor wrt your equipment is the max 18fpe.
    I can see no reason why a standard FT legal rig cannot be used to shoot SFT if the shooter so desires. (like Mark said, then he can score a 50)
    Guess doing things that way would be a bit counter productive with the intentions of SFT, but it should be 'legal'. Basically doing HFT scoring on an FT course.
    For the juniors (<14) they get the added benefit of a bipod or similiar.
    Very true. With this getting a second breath of life the Gauteng club chairmen agreed to what I mentioned earlier. With enough interest we can upgrade the SAFTAA rules later. We want to make this enjoyable to all, especially new shooters who want to get into the sport of FT through SFT. Granted, some may choose to shoot SFT permanently. Nothing stops them to do so.

The biggest difference between FT and Sporter-FT is the scopes. So the event organizers will lay down rules with regards to that and we will relay what works and what doesn't. From there we can formulate rules that works for the majority and what makes the division enjoyable and competitive.
    Last edited by Colonel; 21-05-14 at 10:39.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Cool Rudi,
    I would check how the WP guys have been handling the scope issue as they have been promoting the SFT for some time now.
    We could then copy their methods initially rather than re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

There will have to be clear information so that peeps coming to take part don't have any misconceptions. All the SFT guys/gals will be competing against each other and a log will be kept, and we all know how competative people are. For fairness and an even playing field the rules will have to be uniform. my2c

I'm not knocking it, really want this to work so we get more people into airrifle shooting. (don't want pee'd off people 'coz they say we make up things as we go along)

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Very true. With this getting a second breath of life the Gauteng club chairmen agreed to what I mentioned earlier. With enough interest we can upgrade the SAFTAA rules later. We want to make this enjoyable to all, especially new shooters who want to get into the sport of FT through SFT. Granted, some may choose to shoot SFT permanently. Nothing stops them to do so.

The biggest difference between FT and Sporter-FT is the scopes. So the event organizers will lay down rules with regards to that and we will relay what works and what doesn't. From there we can formulate rules that works for the majority and what makes the division enjoyable and competitive.

This is new territory for us. I hope the the existing FT crowd will jump in and help promote this. Help with ideas and initiatives to positively grow this and make it possible.

We don't want to scare off potential new shooters by exploiting loopholes...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    Cool Rudi,
    I would check how the WP guys have been handling the scope issue as they have been promoting the SFT for some time now.
    We could then copy their methods initially rather than re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

There will have to be clear information so that peeps coming to take part don't have any misconceptions. All the SFT guys/gals will be competing against each other and a log will be kept, and we all know how competative people are. For fairness and an even playing field the rules will have to be uniform. my2c

I'm not knocking it, really want this to work so we get more people into airrifle shooting. (don't want pee'd off people 'coz they say we make up things as we go along)

Excellent!!! Positive initiative!!! Thanks Keith.

GG, can you fill us in? How do you guys approach the scope mag issue in the Cape?

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

+10000

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Thanks for they input Rudi & Keith. Agree with all points made. Let's hear what the WP guys are doing cos this would be a major loophole for guys to cross over to SFT and a hinderance to the growth of the sport....my2c. I

t should be fair to the new and prospective competitors interested in the sport and potentially moving/progressing into the FT sport in the long run.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I think the guys and girls shooting SFT should not be limited with scope size. Let them use what they have. After all SFT is a stepping stone to FT and it is very important to learn to range find. We can maybe have a cutoff point where a guy shoots with a complete FT rig and achieve a certain percentage in SHT that he then moves over to FT. Say for instance you get graded as in FT and once you get to AA class and you do shoot with a FT scope, then you have to move to FT.
    If you prefer to shoot with a smaller mag scope 12 or 24 or whatever then you can stay in SFT if you like.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
    Thanks for they input Rudi & Keith. Agree with all points made. Let's hear what the WP guys are doing cos this would be a major loophole for guys to cross over to SFT and a hindrance to the growth of the sport....my2c.

It should be fair to the new and prospective competitors interested in the sport and potentially moving/progressing into the FT sport in the long run.
    For the interim the the event organizes will make sure the chancres don't bully the new SFT shooters joining us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I think the guys and girls shooting SFT should not be limited with scope size. Let them use what they have. After all SFT is a stepping stone to FT and it is very important to learn to range find. We can maybe have a cutoff point where a guy shoots with a complete FT rig and achieve a certain percentage in SHT that he then moves over to FT. Say for instance you get graded as in FT and once you get to AA class and you do shoot with a FT scope, then you have to move to FT.
    If you prefer to shoot with a smaller mag scope 12 or 24 or whatever then you can stay in SFT if you like.
    That is an excellent approach. Thanks Cor. I've made a note of this.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

We appear to be getting bogged down in micro details. Even if the rule book was as thick as Encyclopedia Britanica there would still be loop holes.
    FT has been going since the 1980's and the rules are still evolving.