Thread: Ever got bored of an airgun?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Ever got bored of an airgun?

I'm seriously considering trading my S410K. The rifle shoots great and produces the same old reliability/consistency/accuracy that is expected of it, but the rifle just feels like a dead plank in my hands. It's hard to explain. I initially got the rifle for it's multishot capability (As I do a lot of nightshooting), but I have found that I require this feature less and less. I like the shorter action, but the with time the stock, the trigger/firing, just doesn't speak to me anymore. I have not experienced this with my other guns (even my BAM felt more comfortable).

I think I have just gotten bored of the rifle. Anybody else experience something similar?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think it depends on what you are doing with your gun. If you enjoy competition and your gun delivers then the enjoyment of doing well should overshadow any would be "gun boredom". On the other hand, if you spend most of your time plinking and paper punching and not joining friends at shoots then I too would get bored quickly.

I consider my rifle a passport to enjoyable social events where I get to have a few laughs and battle it out with friends for score. I also really enjoy my Steyr and the fact that it is dead reliable and does exactly what I want it to do at any given time and if that constitutes boring then I really dig boring impgrin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Andrew, my sentiments exactly.
    However, the S410 is incredibly unspectacular in the way it delivers performance.
    Blankster, do you have a silencer on the rifle? Lack of sound also contributes significantly to the dead feeling.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That I will agree with, my S400 had a silencer on it and if I,m honest I felt a tinge of what Blankster is on about. However, My Steyr is even quieter and this hasn't bothered me at all, wierd.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Think thats why a lot of blokes like shooting springers, they get a bit of feedback. But I suppose once you've tuned a springer to within an inch of its life it would be much the same. Maybe get a cheap springer and alternate between them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Funny thing that, about springers, even a well tuned one, still gives more feedback than any PCP. I will always keep one in my closet...And for me a bad springer is worse than a dead pcp. Aren't we a fickle lot.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I get bored of all my rifles.

That is why I own 15 of them...so I can rotate and play with a different one each week...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

No Mac...a cheap springer is a cheap springer ...I hate them cause I am an airgun snob!

A tuned springer will always give you some feedback and is incredibly rewarding compared to a PCP.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yep, Guido, that works for me too, not that I have15, but I definitely enjoy the variety....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think you guys are right. I do prefer the live wire feeling of a springer and the simple straight forward action of my FN19 .20, while still relatively silent, also generates more feedback (especially over 20 fpe ). Oh well, I guess this is part of finding what one likes/dislikes. So, looks like I'm on the hunt again for the right 12fpe .177 for me. Maybe it's time for a TX200 next. Had a few shots with one (HC) a month or 2 ago, thoroughly enjoyable (Mmmm, now that I think about it, that's when I started going off my S410, seriously) Separate thread to follow regarding these...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Andrew & Guido, julle praat my taal !
    If rifles are so reliable and predictable that they are boring, well then I am a boring kind of guy and they will have to wring my trusty 410k from my dead hands. My STEYR is superb but I luuve my little 410.
    And yes, the goal is to one day have a few dozen top class rifles to play with. 'Horses for courses'...