Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History of Cadets

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Default History of Cadets

We are planning to compile the history of the Cadet movement in South Africa and need as much information as possible?

It appears that the first Cadet activity in South Africa was initiated at the Hermannsburg School near Greytown in 1868 followed up by Pietermaritzburg High School and then Hilton College. Queens College was also involved in the early stages. Shooting competitions were regularly conducted at 100,150,200,250 and 300 yards. It appears that falling block rifles were used and the ammunition supplied by the Government.

It would be appreciated if any members of this forum have any other information or stories to relate.The evolution of the rifles used and the period would be of special interest. We are lead to believe that there is a book on Cadets in South Africa.... is that so?

The School Cadet system was disbanded in the 90's and the shooting division replaced by the present day SANSSU, purely a Target Shooting body without any Military connotation.

Hope to hear from you!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Pietermaritzburg High School - Are you referring to Maritzburg College perhaps? Biggest boys schools in PMB.

There was no PMB High School that I can recall unless a school had that name before 1981...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I was at Hermannsburg School for a while in the 70's They had no cadets then. I know they didn't aprove of my swastika artwork on the walls though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hehe....I was in cadets from std 6 - 10 attending Gert Maritz and Voortrekker. Think I was the last year when it was still active at school (93).

Went to Linpark, College, Maritzburg etc for Bisley shoots and then Midlands at Merivale.

Did the whole drill thing and only took part in a competition once. Went over to the Cadet band in Matric - more time out of the class to practise for school events, competions etc.

When we went to Richmond for some town fair we were taken in army trucks and and two armed patrols due to all the riots. That was Fun!!!

We even spent a week at Merivale Shooting range for a 'busk week' Rat packs, army overalls and sleeping under the stars under make shit leanto. THat was fun, specially the shooting part

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Sadly the shooting ranges of most schools are now overgrown. I remember going to shoot at Merivale, damm , that food made by the army tasted good compared to the bording school shite they fed us.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

1983-1987 high school kempton park we had cadets .22 shooting 25m/drill and the band. we had the falling block bsa rifles which was replaced by the anschutz mod 54 if i recall correctly

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

86-90 Oakdale.. kadets and .22 shooting as well. all 5 years certainly beats drilling!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

De Villiers Graaf High 71-75, cadets - .22 shooting single loaders with anschutz peep sights @ 25m , weekly drill for a double lesson and of course the band -
    I also remember having to stand guard, in shifts, armed, for a couple of months, in 75 because the school was threatened.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. tomcat, you stand gaurd with the anshutz? bet you you would have to ask the trangressor to stand still for a while so you could find him with the peep sight

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah right, but of course we never saw anybody so it didn't get put to the test...

User Info Menu

Please keep the info coming.

Considering that in the early 80's there were more than 20000 cadet shooters many others on this forum must have some contribution.

I have been advised that Hilton College was Cadet Attachment no. One and Hermannsburg was eliminated because of the First World War and its German influence, we have mailed Hermannsburg about this.

Old school magazines and Museums are also a source of information so please page through the paperwork if you have opportunities!

What is needed is the transition periods from one issued rifle to the other? We know that the Anschutz replaced the BSA in about 1980 but when was the BSA issued ....one report says that it served for 75 years....I don't know.

Two Military Historians have contacted me and are researching the subject too.

Drums with Rope and Insignias. I have a request for these...do you know of?

Thank you so far!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

I was in Voortrekker Hoerskool in PMB from 1976 - 1980. We also had drilling, band, and shooting at 25 yards. We used the BSA falling blocks, until 1979, and they were replaced by the Anshutz in my matric year, 1980. At first our scores on the rapid fire, took a plunge, until we got used to the bolt action of the Anshutz. They were both very accurate rifles, and I truly enjoyed shooting with them. We were a bunch of farm lighties, and our main rival's were Maritzburg College, with the "English" brothers, Rob, and I think Mark, at the helm. We had our annual Natal Bisley, at either, the Merrivale range. or at Blue lagoon in Durban, when we stayed in army tents, at Natal Command.

Those were good days man!

Dirk Engel's Avatar Dirk Engel

Wagpos Higschool (North West), '92-96. We used the Anshutz mod 1954, we had quite a lot of them, about 30. Herman Barnard was President of SANSSU during that time. Shot 25yards or 22,5 meteres. We had the firts 50meter school range in SA... Why ? because we could, and we had a pupil who's dad did it for us. We had our provincial trials at Voortrekker hoogte small bore range and our nationals at Bloemfontein each year.

Went and shot jnr world champs and bisley in Denmark and England...

Yes Piet youre right those were the good old days...when my mom and dad still cared for me and payed for everything....LOL

Will try and get a hold of Herman Barnard, maybe he can shed more light on your subject...

User Info Menu

Thanks.

Herman Barnard is a friend of mine and is now in Thabazimbi and until a few years ago still a SANSSU Exco member....I will contact him, and Dirk tell us more about your overseas trip with SANSSU? Were you in the squad that visited Wiesbaden the German Shooting School? Was Jaco Henn with you?

Piet....when did the rapidfire excercise disappear?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sasolburg High School. 1980-84
    Had Cadet shooting/band/drilling.
    Had a top class 25meter prone shooting range. (Probably overgrown and covered with 'weed' now)
    The school did well in that era though. We had 'issue' falling block BSA's and a few Anschutz mod 54's reserved for the top 10 shooters who usually made the team that competed with other schools and the biggie at Bloemfontein.
    The targets used to be fixed to roundbar frames with 4 washing pegs, one at each corner. On practise days the quickest way to eliminate your competition was to make his target dissapear by shooting his washing pegs ! he-he.
    We had loads of fun and our shooting instructer mostly turned a blind eye to this 'unruly' behaviour because it actually improved our snap shooting. He was a wise man indeed.
    Of all good things there is to be missed about school life, this is the one I miss the most..