Thread: Muzzle Velocity

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Muzzle Velocity

is it possible to increase the muzzle velocity of an AA S400 Classic?
    And if you can, by how much?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Joe.. here the others can chime in but from what I've read you can get her to about 16fp without to much hassle but from there on it starts becoming art

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i am running my s400 hi-power and u can get around 14-14,5 ft/ibs out of it max by adjusting it simply...with some modification mine is now running at 21.2 ft/ibs... but it is not simple, you need to be able to dismantly the gun completely to do all the mods,,,eg the pot and striker sping...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Joe

Are you going to stop shooting FT then?
    Only asking as I'm wondering is it worth adjusting the velocity/using heavier pellets to get 12ft.lb everytime you go to a shoot?

Increasing the velocity on a S400 imo is only worth while for anything else and not FT - why change to higher velocity and heavier pellet?

Am I making sense or over-thinking things (that is now if you still want to do FT)? Anyone?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

using heavier pellets to lower your velocity does not lower your ft.lb it may in fact increase it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

true, confusing myself today....other way around....lighter pellet then. Will the lighter pellet not have a influence on accuracy??
    Someone asked me a similar question not too long ago as JM, hence all my questions as that is what we debated on.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yes lighter pellet than your typical 8.4 grain JSB will start to go supersonic @ 18fp which will be a problem.If I take the FAC xtra I have.. she shoots about 1025 fps with JSB's.. that is already borderline as 1080's is supersonic. So yes, you will loose accuracy if you lighten pellets to lower energy. For that matter.. I am sure you would need to fire a matchstick to lower a 18fpe gun to 12

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Muzzle velocity is a subject frought with variables. E.g. Walther claimes 1600 fps from the Hunter. the catch - a 4.49mm, 5gr pellet. Wether or not you could hit the side of a barn from inside the barn at ten paces is not given.

Appropriate power and accuracy for the job is what counts.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What would be required in adjust the S400 by a small amount, say from 11-12 Fpe for a given pellet? Can it be done without stripping the firing mechanism?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I believe there is a retrofitted adjuster available. Not sure from whom overseas. but to adjust you just use a screwdriver. Probably works the same way as the FAC model adjuster

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Yes you can adjust the S400 externally for small adjustments. However any major adjustments needs to have the rifle stripped down. Even then there is a limit to how much adjustment can be made without starting to fiddle with the porting. This However will then lead to MV that changes substantially from shot to shot. That is why Air Arms only supply the .177 FAC in the larger rifle while the .22 FAC is available in the classic as well as the Carbine.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dont fix whats not broke