Thread: Can a 200 bar tank be upgraded to a 300 bar tank?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Can a 200 bar tank be upgraded to a 300 bar tank?

I think I must have a 200 bar tank because after just a few fills it cannot even fill my rifles to 200 bar anymore but it is a 12l plus tank. Is it possible to modify the tank to take 300 bar?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Its not all that easy.

The bottle and the vaulve each have a safety rating.These ratings are there to protect you.

The tank has stamp marks that tell you how much pressure the normal load should be.Try keep to that

Sad thing is the 300bar bottles are a lot more expensive and fail more regularly when they are checked yearly.

Both the guns you have listed should shoot well off a 160 bar fill.From 200 bar to 160 bar you should get plenty fills.

Both your guns will perform badly at 200 bar.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

errrr....no

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I thought one could change the valve then fill to 300 bar but no such luck I see. Alan my s410 is an extra fac so I dont get to many shots if I can only fill to 170 bar. Will just have to live with it at the moment. Thanks Cheers

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

craigb , the ERB is not regulated so i cant see that filling it opast 160 bar will leave tou shooting at the same poi.Sadly the ERB has a price to pay when it comes to air consumption.I dont have an ERB I hope a person on the forum that does have one can give you an indication of max charge for usable shots

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Allan.. I fill my erb up to 200bar and shoot down to 100 and dont notice(for hunting anyways) a change in poi. I am sure the velocity must vary a few fps but I am confident of hitting every time. It is a very accurate rifle

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Jtk I know this but my problem is that I dont get enough fills on 200 bar before I can only get 190 then 180 then 170 ect. I was target shooting(messing around) the other day and I had shot the rifle down to 50 bar when a pigion landed on a nearby telephone wire and when I shot it, it just dropped and was dead by the time it hit the ground.So even at this low level these rifles are potent.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I know Craig.. was just pointing out to Allan that my erb seems to fire fine from 200bar. That said you can charge to 160 and it should give you a few fills. Best bet is to sell your tank and get a 230 bar or 300 bar..

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

The 230 bar, is in fact a 200 bar tank. They will fill it to 230 bar, and when it coole down, it should be around 200 bar.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Piet, help out.. I dont understand.. So a 200bar tank holds 175bar and a 300 about 265?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not quite, because of the heat generated when filling a tank, the pressure will drop when it cools down. Thats why they will wait a few minutes after filling and top your tank off.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Thanks Spyker.. was under the impression they fill it twice. 2nd time after cooldown. I mean if a 232 only held 200 bar then what would the use be.. Maybe what Piet is saying is that some people do not fill a 200 to 200 but rather to 232 so that when it cools dow it drops to 200 bar? If that is the case is that not dangerous?