Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scopes, again..................

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default scopes, again..................

i went ahead and got the BSA mildot 6-24 X 40, good features/clearity considering the price.........however when i got home and had a really detailed look/inspection, i discovered a rattle (internal) coming from the elevation turret. havn't got the hornet yet (somewhere between JHB/CPT), couldn't check if the scope's holding zero or not.........never the less, i've returned the scope for a replacement. here's the dilemma...........

it was the last one from the distributor, they are busy checking if any of their dealers' got them in stock...etc. hopefully i will get the confirmation tomorrow...........

so, had a 2nd look at what else's available and within budget (just...). i'm basically looking for an entry level all-pourpse scope. ie mag. low enough for close range pest control / general field use and high enough for "informal FT......here's what i come up with, did i miss anything???

AirMax 6-18 X 44
    Varmint II 6-24 X 44 (availabilty?)
    UltraOptec 4-16 X 44

any views/recommendations??????
    what are these ultraoptec scopes like?

thanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

How much did you pay for the BSA ?
    How much for the other 3, gives me prices so that I can find out and come back 2 you !!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Giudo,
    wanne sell the Hawke Varmint 8-32 ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

what is it worth?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi neilg,

i've phoned around for prices....about R1400 for the ultraoptec, R1100-1500 for the airmax and R1500-1900 for the varmint II. don't worry/stress about the prices, it might be slightly more here in the cape, i guess that's the price one's got to pay for local back-up/service...etc

don't know if hennie (TS) brings stuff in himself, as Ramrod's out of stock of Varmint II 6-24. I will phone him in the morning to check. I paid just over R900 for the beesa, they offered to get me a replacement from Gamo/BSA (Spain) on their next shipment......i'm just not prepared to wait...etc. they do have a Lynx 6.5-20 X 44 SF for R3250, then again if i was gonna spend "big" bucks on a scope i rather go big or go home. as mentioned in previous post, i'm not really looking to get a FT spec scope.........but hey, if the price's good?????? so Guido, keen to sell? what's the damage (to my pocket that is)? i guess i will just have to wait for the FT bug to bite.

I can see it, Oh so clearly!!!, in my head............

S400 Classic with S4X0E Cylinder
    Custom "Rosewood" FT stock from "lewis" or similar maybe in laminated beech or just a fine piece of walnut.
    mil-pro 10-50 X 56

sweet dreams are made of.....................(playing in the back ground together with paris hilton lubing/shaking some CPH's...)

so, if optimax has got one to send down, i should get everything together by friday, bob's your uncle

Guido, keen to squeeze in a plinking session this weekend?

otherwise, realistically it's down to the ultraoptec or airmax. i'm just a bit confused here........i assume they are both chinese made...ie. similar qulity/price.......etc but then on the ramrod website the airmax is about R1000 and R1600 for the U/O hmmm?????AANGAAS

?!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Hey Urabus...please call me and we can discuss it
    0836753341 021-7905506

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I paid R 1900 for the Hawke 8-32 in Oct Last year (when I bought the S400). Had it on my gun for 2-3 months and replaced it with the Tasco Custom.

By the way, R 3250 for that Lynx is EXCELLENT !!!!! Checked at TS on Monday and it was about R 4500. THAT Lynx makes me think of the Leupoldt 6.5-20 ... (I'm DEFINATELY not saying it's the same scope people)

If you're looking for a scope in the R 1500-2000 range you can get a NS / Lynx 6-24 which has much better optics than UltraOptec/BSA/Hawke.

Will phone and find out .... report back later

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Aug 18 2004, 08:21AM ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

So I suppose that if I sell the Hawke 8-32 for R1300 including Lynx high mounts and Butler Creek flip-open covers [extras valued at R600] that would be a fair price?
    The new Hawke does not seem to come in 8-32X anymore but only in 6-24?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I also have 2 beautiful Japanese Tascos from the early 90s. These are the TS6-24X44 silhouette scopes. They sold for about $500 then and the optics and construction are definitely on par with the Leupolds 6-20s.
    These scopes are truly beautiful, they both have extended glare shields, 1\8MOA target turrets, fine crosshair with dot, excellent parallax adjustments and the front of the scope does not rotate with the parallax ring so a scope flip open cover stays at the same angle when you adjust parallax.
    The old Tascos were good!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Fair .. hell no !
    You would be doing yourself in !!
    That scope is in mint condition, the mounts cost R 250/300 (can't remember) and the Butler Creeks are about the same price.
    Minimum price for everything should be atleast R 1800 !!
    Correct on new Hawke, only Target Versions are 8-32, Max Varmint is 6-24.

But .. since it's going to Urabus... you should add atleast another 25% to my suggested price ... hahah

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Target Spec (Gavin)
    Lynx 6-24 about R 3000
    Nikko Stirling 6-24 about R 2000

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Guido,

I agree the old Tasco TS scopes are extremely good, I used one back in 1989 for FT before buying a Leupold 6.5-20x40.

If you want to buy the same scope today the Nikko Stirling Target Master series are mechanically and optically identical to those old Tasco's. I have got a 24x44 NS Target Master on my NJR at the moment that I picked up s/h in mint condition recently and is a cracking scope. I believe they are also offered in 6-24 and 8-32 format.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Target Master series is available in SA, price unknown, think that the 8-32 goes for about R 4000, almost bought 1 for Silhouette, ... but then I discovered FT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks guys...........

neilg, do you know the model/series of the Lynx & Nikko Stirling? min parallax of 20/25? yds on the N/S, is that an issue in practical terms????

guido, gee that's a good price, thanks. i will give you a shout prob. tonight/tomorrow......after i get the confirmation from ronden............

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"New Gold Crown" is Chinese ... cheap ...

NS Sportsman 6-24x44
    SIDE FOCUS
    Model : NSN2442
    Adjust : 1/4
    PA min : 10 m
    Weight : 30 oz

Price for 6-24 SF is about R 4000

NS TargetMaster 6-24x44
    Model : NT62444
    Adjust : 1/8
    PA min : presume 10m
    Weight : 18.5 oz

Price +- R2000, on their site they say that it was developed for FT / Target.

see http://www.nikkostirling.com
    see http://www.lynx.co.za

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Aug 18 2004, 12:47PM ]</span>