Thread: Tilting a scope

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Default Tilting a scope

The usual method of getting some downward angle to the scope mounting of just putting a spacer in the rear mount has had me concerned for the past few months. To my mind this must place an enormous strain on the scope body and the works about the reticle.

I think I may have found a simple answer.

Cut your spacer fairly narrow, 3 to 4mm will do. Stick in place at the rear of the rear mount. Sprinkle some "Quickbond" powder on both mounts. Gently place the scope onto the mounts and rock the scope from side to side. Do not press down too hard or the powder will stick to the scope and not remain on the mount. Make sure the scope body touches the metal surface at the front of the forward mount as well as the spacer at the back. Gently remove the scope from the mounts. If satisfied with the shape and condition of the powder remaining on the mounts apply the catalyst. If not, goto 3rd sentence.

The Quickbond sets in seconds and I now have angled scope mounts.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What about the top halves?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Mace , you were not supposed to think that far

I have also thought of this and dismissed the idea.If it were a problem I am sure we would have heard about it already.

User Info Menu

There is usualy enough clearence between the screws and the holes to allow thetop halves to follow the slope of the tube.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I always worried about shimming then I discovered the following.
    Buy a set of mounts from Louis at AA. Loosen the screws at front and rear, adjust to requirements, tighten screws, job done.

User Info Menu

I agree Brian. I have a set of high adjustable mounts on order for 2 weeks now. I think the mod beats sitting staring at the rifle.