Thread: Cleaning Silencers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning Silencers

How often should this be done?

I own a Woodchucks and it doesn't seem to come apart very easily. Surely this also fills up with gunk, ie pellet lube and I shot Accucraps once so there's some lead in there I'm sure.

Can I just drown it in some thinners? Pretty sure there is nothing obsorbant in it, like asbestos or matting.

Also it might just be that I've heard Lewis's silencer, but it seems to be louder than originally.

Any ideas?

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Hi Avion,

The silencer can not come apart (unless you run them on my Chinese PCP conversion, then it just blows them apart, he he). The silencer has no funny internals just one, two or three nylon type discs. There my be a bit of lube and lead (if you shoot at fairly high velocities), it should not affect the silencer though. Next time I see Roman from woodchucks or if I go through to the factory I will ask if cleaning the silencer will help.

Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Avion,
    If you get off your bud once in a while and wash your
    pellets like I showed you, you would not worry about your silencer. If you shot AccuPells you should worry less about any gunk in your rifle. When are you going to learn?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hiya Warrick. Ta for that.

gerrief:
    Leave my bud alone. 8)
    Sorry but I cant purchase benzine, was accucraps then throw the benzine down the sink - think of the planet man!
    Washed accucraps are nearly as clean as AA's, almost.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Apr 26 2005, 09:21AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

When I got my Woodchucks silencer as new there were already some gunk on the inside. Washed it with dishwashing liquid and water, dried it with some compressed air at work, left it to dry for a day.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did it make any difference to the loudness at all JCG?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No. Think if it had sound suppressing filling there would have been.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I once experienced the same problem when my AA silencer gradually became louder than usual. I contacted Air Arms and they were not sure why their silencer was becoming louder. Someone (I'm not sure whether from Air Arms or someone else) adviced me to just flush the inside of the silencer with hot water - which I did and it worked a treat. The silencer is fine now and I haven't had to do that for a while now - more than a year, and it's still working fine.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cheerz Zulu - think I'll do the same next time I whip it off. You don't perhaps know if the AA silencer has any baffling material in it do you?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It looks like it does have baffles, according to what they told me. Initially, the had told me to hold the silencer up to the sun and look through the hole to see if the baffles had not shifted inside.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Okay, erm... 'cleaned' my silencer today.

Word of warning ! - Woodchuck silencers are NOT annodised, it's paint.

I found this out when rinsing my silencer in some thinners earlier today. doh! :messed:

Result - definately quieter, although not a great deal but sounds alot more like it did when I first got it. Also a bit lighter now that the paints off. :rude:

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Next time use turpentine!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Tell you what though, washing it out in thinners made for some nice smoke after each shot. Something akin to a springer dieseling heavy. Brings back thoughts of old western movies and Colts. lol.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

my gamo 640 used to after every shot till i got to around 5000 was pretty cool.