Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCOPE ADVICE NEEDED ON SPRINGER

MRP

User Info Menu

Default SCOPE ADVICE NEEDED ON SPRINGER

Hi guys

I was once shooting with my pcp at Jason's place and another friend next to me was shooting with his HW97K springer.He had only taken about 20 shots
    and the scope broke on the inside in 2 places.Well it only costed him R1800.00 for the leapers .It was the one bigger than the 3x9 - 40.
    Another friend bought a BSA lightening FAC XL and the same thing happened
    with another scope.He also tried the walter rubberised scope but that damm thing moved so much that it put his groupings off totally.

So my question is what scope won"t break on a springer or how can this be prevented from happening, as it cost a lot of money on these good scopes.

YAny advice will be appreciated.

S400 CLASSIC
    DELTAMAX

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Devan, no matter who says what, springers break scopes. I would suggest he moves to a scope that is springer rated. The only one that comes to mind atm is the Nikko Stirling Airking range. If the springer breaks it Nikko Stirling will swap it. I have one on my cfx and she is holding up nicely after coupla tins though her. I would suggest the 4-12x42 as the biggest 4.5-16x50 is simply too big. The optics are very nice and clear and the scope probably will cost bout 1.2k

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Even scopes that are springer rated break...I have seen it often.

The Leapers that you saw break was on a HW97K which according to the owner had a fairly harsh firing cycle due to a faulty spring or seal.

I have seen a Leapers break on a BSA Lightning XL FAC...also very harsh liitle rifle.

I use Leapers scopes on all my springers but they are all Venom or Maccari tuned....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just my 2c...

Andre Visser from Bargain Airrifles sold me one of those Nikko Stirling Gold Crown Airkiing, IM SO IMPRESSED. I am a newbie yes. But hey. He said if my springer brakes the scope, he will swap it for me. I don't know what the biggest airking you get, but that one fits me fine. Ask the starlings... hehe

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I aggree with guido, they do break. However the ns airking will be swapped everytime, as far as I know. also, when going on springers the size of the scope also has an impact. the bigger, the better chance of the lenses coming loose. Go read up on newton's 3 laws of motion and you will understand. Small lense(light) exert less force on a lense mount than a big(heavy)lense when the rifle recoils. The problem with springers is the double recoil. if the piston starts moving forward the rifle recoils in a simular direction to a firearm. But when the piston coms to rest at the end of the cycle the rifle recoils forward. At thi point remember that the scope has been moving backward at the recoil speed of the 1st stage. now it makes an immediate stop and reoils forward, much like a wip. This movement is what breaks the lense mounts loose. This is why I always recommend that big scopes and springers do not always go together. Some work but aothers dont like it. Also, the heavier your rifle, the less impact the recoil has as the weight of the rifle works against the recoil (again newton) So a bigger scope may survive fine on a big heavy springer but peg on a light one.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i use a ram 4-32 scope one pice construction, no little mooving parts and it works fine

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

apparently there are shock-damping mounts in the market that promise the answer to the concern

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a dampa mount on my Theoben Crusader with a Leapers 6-24x50 with no problems (touch wood) - but I would recommend the Nikko Stirling Gold Crown Airking 4-12x44 which I have on my BSA XL FAC. The first Nikko Stirling I got I used for a few weeks and then wasn't happy with some dust on the inside of the lens, took it back to Bargain Airrifles and Andre let me pour over all the other scopes until I found one I prefered!!! Excellent service from Andre and the scope is still in tip top condition (except for the rubber grips) after around 8.000 FAC shots.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Lynx on my Diana Mod 54
    Leapers on my HW97K
    Shot a lot of pellets allready, still fine. But I must say both springers are fitted with Maccari kits.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

the weight doesn't really matter when dealing with reliability... a decent 4x4 is much heavier than light passager car... but the 4x4 driver has much better chance to survave with head to head impact with a much lighter car. according to science experiment ... in fact... the more heavy u are... the less damage u can get in the head to head accident... but the ligher car will be other way around... after 10000kms bad gravel road trip... the lighter car can fail easy... but heavier 4x4 still going strong... becoz simply that's what the 4x4 designed for...

it's not the weight of the scope make the difference of reliablity.... but how the scope been built and what this scope designed for centainly do...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a N/S NIGHTEATER ON MY CFX , SHOT ABOUT 5000 SHOTS NO PROBLEM.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I agree with Boondock...a heavier scope should handle the recoil better since there is more mass to absorb the shock...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

If the scope was a solid item then yes, but it has parts. Hold two items in your hands of different weights - simulating light(small) and heavy(large) lenses. jump off a chair or something. it is easier to hold the light item than the heavy item. Or take a soccor ball in your hand vs a bowling ball in the same experiment, you may have a hard time to hold the bowling ball. same with heavy lenses vs light lenses. The heavy glass wants to keep moving against the recoil with much more force than the light glass. this is physics not my opinion...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

1. between light and heavy scopes... the heaver scope's extra weight isn't just added to the glass... they don't have extra thickness glass somehow. but added material for enforcement and durability. same reason why merc and bmw always heavier than most of cars in the same class.

2. the lighter scope not necessarily can "hold" lens better than heaver scope. if not worse.

3. the weak point in a scope generally not located at front or rear lens... how offen we heard those lens cracked by recoil?

4. the weak point is in the middle.. close to parallax / elevation / windage adjustments and crosshairor panel... depends how the scope internal been built... some scope's parts can come loose and become to unreliable under extreme conditions... but not really weight related.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thats is also why you must have a solid one piece construction mount so as to attach the scope to the rifle in essence. Thus no seperate movement between the scope and rifle...they become one....zen.