Thread: Durbanville, Free shooting

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Durbanville, Free shooting

Hi,
    I saw the other posts on the durbanville area events, however this is not related.

Does anyone know of places where one can go do some plinking without being bugged by people around durbanville? Not interested in events or things, just a place where me & the girlfriend can have some can-shooting fun without being called "firearm wielding lunatics".

If you know of any spots, please share, or PM me, we're not going to ruin it for you.

Would appreciate any input actually.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Durbanville shooting Range
    You only pay once for signing up then a yearly fee (R300 this year I think) and you shoot for free after that. they are open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Their facilities are very clean and all the ranges have roof cover. Drinks / food can be bought there as well and target frames are free for use. You pay a R20 dep on it and get it back if it's not broken.

I am there almost every weekend with my airguns shooting on either the pistol or rifle range depending on what I want to do the day. The pistol range is up to 25m and rifle up to 200m.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi knormoer, can you pease supply us with the address of the shooting range in Durbanville,

Thanks
    Andre

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Sure

Their website is at http://www.dsk-dsc.co.za
    and it's located on the Wellington road.

You can get to it either by:
    1. From Kraaifontein use the back road to Durbanville and turn right at the 2nd set of traffic lights that come from Stodels. At the next set of traffic lights you turn right into Wellington road. It leads to Malmesbury. You will pass the tygerberg Model Flying club on your left and 500m/1km on you will see the red flags of the range on your right.

2. From Cape town take the exit to Stodels and drive past it and carry on with that road till it intersects with Wellington Road. Turn right and look out for red flags on your right. Few km's.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ah thats the one just before the mushroom farms, on the road going past the r/c model airfield?

I will definitely look into it, no other places for casual plinking?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

depends with what you shoot, your neighbours and your yard size. I would say that if your yard is closed off and your gun has a silencer and your neighbours dont have an issue with it then you may plink in your backyard... that said you need an excuse if the cops come round. If you belong to an affiliated clup I recon you can say you are practicing for competition, which seems to be legal.. Here again I am just relaying what I have read on this forum etc.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dunno bout the shrooms, but it sounds like the same place.

It being a registered shooting range no one can hassle you there for plinking. Exactly why I shoot there and not anywhere else. You have good facilities, nice outdoor environment, weather of the day to force you to learn reading it and nobody can give you grief for sending lead down range.

I take my own silhouettes and small printed targets with to place a different ranges for the different pellet guns I have.

For a heads up take the following with:
    1. 4 pound hammer to put the target frame firmly in the ground. It's very hard soil there.
    2. A staple gun / wide tape to be certain your targets are secure. The wind can play havoc there if you go on windy days like me. I find it boring to shoot on days with no wind.
    3. A cover of sort to place your guns on. The cement table/counter tops there will scratch.
    4. On very warm days some insect repellent. There are farms about and them pests have wings. It's not a big bother either just me being silly.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

valid points.
    I suppose this is the best option, since I am not lucky enough to know any land owners outside of town

Im just worried about the girlfriend being shy and all, shooting range is very "open" that way.

let me see what i can do *get gloves*

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

There are quite a number of female shooters shooting on weekends. To date I have never seen anyone comment or be disrespectful to anyone there either. It's a well run club with very strict safety marshalls and a nice vibe. There are lots of veteran shooters with awesome advice. My wife has been shooting on/off there for years. Recently with the C02 pellet gun that I bought to replace the .22 I sold.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input. Will be under consideration.

I would however like to keep my original question at attention...
    If anyone knows of any place where one can sit down in a relaxed field/koppie/whatever to plink and have some fun, let me know.

R300 and targets on poles etc is not always what I am in the mood for.

Geez I hate the city, miss the small towns....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi there Marlon.

I always went to Durbanville rifle range in the past. Not the place to go with your airgun. There is one line of shooters. Now you get your guy trying out different loads on his hunting rifle ... He takes a shot every 10 minutes and you have to wait for him. See, not what you want.

I joined Kraaifontein shooting club. Lots of different areas to shoot, meaning you basicly can do your own thing with the airgun.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thank you, got your pm.
    I appreciate this, exactly what im looking for

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Shamen,
    What you are saying is very true, even up here, when you go to a public range. What I have also noticed is that a hell of a lot of old time hunters haven't a clue how a scope works. They want to wet their pants if they see you dialing in your distances or parallax. A lot of them bought their scopes years ago and they left it as is, too scared something will break if they adjust it. (We even have the odd FT shooter that believe that also.) On Sunday past I had that again when a young lad was "zeroing" the scope on his .22 rimmy. He was still 4mm off the bull when he decided that it was close enough, because he already adjusted "4 full clicks" and it is a lot. Only one chap knew what magnification his scope is capable of and what the parallax ring was for. The rest about 20 believed that the scope will be out if they adjusted magnification and or parallax. If I was a buck I would have felt quite safe for my life but I would be sh*t scared of loosing my jaw or a leg.