Thread: My DIY Gamo CFX stock in African Mahogany

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default My DIY Gamo CFX stock in African Mahogany

Hey guys. I had some requests. I finished it on the week end and zeroed my scope. Its a Gamo 4 - 12 x 44 Milldot. Not quite FT I know, but together with my CFX and a steady finger, it sure hits the spot.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

not bad at all! good one

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

mmmm....nice one section 8....I also have a CFX lying arround....maybe I should go that route....I was thinking of lamenated wood pre stained in different colours...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hitman, where can you get laminated wood prestained with different colors? I would love some!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Kudos too all the stock builders guess we got some really talented membershey section 8 well done on that stock inletting must have been a pain how'd you do it unless your a magician with a router

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I do have a big ass router but its close to impossable to get router bits that fit the profile of your riflr action. It took a while because the synthetic stock of the CFX is injected. So it has small suports that everything fits into. I hadto measure, chissle, sand and fit over and over. You can not do this without a power file. You know the one with the long thin sanding belt. The trick is to do everything VERY slowly. I've atarted another one from steamed beach. Gonna be a looker. Complete with thumb hole and hollowed out shoulder piece. This time Ill take pics to document the whole thing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nice work, well done!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I WAS THINKING OF TAKING THREE SHEETS OF LAMINATED WOOD AND WOOD STAINING THEM IN DIFFERENT COLOURS...BOND THEM TOGETHER...CUT THE STOCK SHAPE...AND THEN FINALISE IT...BUT I WILL NEED A DEEP PENATRATING STAIN...OR ELSE THE COLOURS WILL BE SANDED OFF....I'LL HAVE TO SPEAK TO MY FATHER FIRST...HIS A GIFTED CARPENTER

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yeah hitman, dunno if that will work. I know the normal ply goes two different shades whan staining them based on the gran direction where the stain makes contact. Comes out pretty nice if done tastefully. I am starting to lean towards just making it out of beech. Pitty is the thickest I can find is about 50mm which seems too thin. Or am I mistaken?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I made my Mahogony stock from 50mm timber, and I just checked the one I started from Beech woodis also 50mm. Its fine, but it gives you a smaller margin for error and creativity. I'm not to firmiliar with the EV and Walther type stocks.