Thread: field target - hft rules ect

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default field target - hft rules ect

hi guys. im thinking about starting an air rifle club in east london, im just not sure about FT-HFT rules and course set up. there are quiet a few guys with rifles and a lot of younger kids who im sure will be verry keen. any help and advice will be greatly apreciated. im getting tired of shooting in my back yard.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

HI Airsniper, glad yuo are promoting the sport out that way! The rules are available just search using google and also put UK in your search as we use the UK version. Your biggest investment will be drop targets though. You may be able to get someone to make you a bunch in bulk but it will set you back a few $$ From there it is easy. In a nutshell the rules are as follow:

HFT and FT shoot the same course using the same targets. Targets are placed between 10 and 50m. The participants are not allowed to know the distances to the targets. The kilzone on the target is a max of 40mm and a min of 12mm(I think) You use reducers on the drop targets to simulate the diffs in sizes. There are lanes with targets in them. You will stipulate a standing and kneeling lane.

HFT: you can have springer and pcp classes or throw them together. You shoot either prone, kneeling or standing unless the lane stipulates a specific position. You hit the target and get one point. If you hit the drop plate and the target drops you get two points. So if there is 30 targets you can get max 60points. You shoot with a max of 18fp(only diffs in SA as opposed to UK) rifles max 12x scopes and are not allowed to adjust your scope in any way during the shoot.

FT: You can use the above mentioned positions plus sitting and you are allowed to use a sling. You drop the target and get 1 point. So 30 target = max 30 points. This is usually open to both springers and pcp. You also allowed only 12fp rifles and any scope. You typically use yuor scope to range find the distance and dail the elevation in to enable you to shoot on the cross hairs.

Hope this helps!

JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanx JTK. il do some reasearch and speak to the guys. maby il see you at a comp someday, but beware us east london guys will abseleutly slaughter you guys on a windy day. it never stops blowing here.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just get the people interested first, you can introduce the rules as you go and the interest in the sport gets bigger. The only rule you should never compromise on is the SAFETY RULES.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lol

[blockquote]beware us east london guys will abseleutly slaughter you guys on a windy day. [/blockquote]

I would not be so quick. I have shot on a day where you could not shoot at the targets in a south easterly direction for fear that you may be hit with your own pellet..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

oh sorry i forgot you were from cape town ha ha. ya definatley saftey first. how much are those targets

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I believe the Gamo targets are great value for money.I got mine for R125.I dont know what they cost now.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I think they are over R200 bux already

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I cant tell you how many shots I have taken on my Gamo targets.When I get some guys around we all almost go through a tin of pellets.They work and they dont give any problems if you mount them on the ground.or parallel to the ground.I think the steel used is a high quality.

The real plus point is they are of the "knock over " type.So there is no fine tuning.They work and that is that.

You just have to fit your own reducers .

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I want to get one as well.. jsut worried about all the lead in my back yard!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Mount it in a wooden box and then all you have to do is tilt the box to get the lead out.Just dont let your boss shhoot at it with his high power airrifle.Still have to fix mine .The bugger !

Nice thing is then you dont have to nail the target down .The weight of the target and box keeps it in place when you pull it up again.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sweet.. will make a box!