Thread: shooting on private property?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default shooting on private property?

hi all,

just wondering.......what's the law/regulation regarding shooting an air rifle in ones garden (urban area)? i see in the uk, as long as necessary steps are taken (secure back-stop, shooting down into ground..etc) and the pellets remains in the property, it's fine to shoot in the back yard. and should an "unprotected feather/fur" lands in the same garden.......so be it.

i've confirmed with the local cops that i can shoot in the back yard. how about "unprotected feather/fur", anyone know? or where i can go to find the necessary information.

the reason i'm asking.....while shooting at silhouettes, a hadeda landed about 1-2m infront of it. i was atleast 30m away and imho "fair game" as it's not endangered and i was going for a head shot from free standing position. one shot, one kill.

so now the neighbour saw it and he's not particularly happy. my question is, should i forget about the whole thing? or should i contact my lawyer asap?

thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

According to the new SA law you are not allowed to shoot in your backyard. Read chapter 3 of the law.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ok, so it's illegal.........

but then, the local cops don't seem to be up to date with the law, hence told me it's perfectly ok for me to shoot in the back yard. as for the bird....it was more like a timing thing. it would have made no difference if it was a rat, fly, avo (target below tree). i didn't go look for a bird to shoot, it landed in front of the targets.

i've since spoken to the neighbour, he's got no problems with me shooting at the silhouettes, so do you think i should maybe try get a written thing (although incorrect according to the law) from the cops and continue shooting 'till they realize they've made a mistake?

what about "indoor shooting" ie. garage, basement for those chrony session, precision 10m...etc

where can i get/download this LAW?

thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It is to late to try and change the law now. Yes I also shoot in my back yard and the whole neighberhoods kids come and join in the fun, but it is illegal. The law can be downloaded from the SAP site (the link is on my website www.airrifle.co.za

SerpentWolf's Avatar SerpentWolf

indeed new to me. I took time to book a meeting with Inspector von Willich at Gordons Bay police, to ask her about this...
    I mentioned the fact that Im shooting in garage and garden, and she didnt object.... So thats what im doing, ill have to look at the law.

Are you sure this law covers the non regulated air rifles? Since these are excluded from the total ACT ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

(7) It is an offence to discharge a firearm, an antique firearm or an airgun in a
    built up area or any public place, without good reason to do so.
    This is an extraction from the law. Chapter 16.
    The problem is to define good reason. Sighting your rifle is definately not "good reason". Please note that I am not a legal expert and this might be interpreted differantly by every Police officer for there are no guidelines that they can use.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Lewis is 100% correct in saying that it's illegal to discharge ANY firearm (including airguns) in a built up area. I have confirmed this with police ! I shoot with a silenced PCP in my house. It's still illegal but since nobody can hear it nobody knows about it. Arguing with the LAW is simply not an option. Should a complaint be laid against you they WILL confiscate your airgun first and ask questions later. Rather go into the bush and go and shoot over there ! Also understand that not knowing the law is simply not an excuse, it simply doesn't work like that, the laws are available to the public so they will not accept that as an excuse. Are you prepared to lose your Airgun ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

add to that all your guns for you are now a danger to society and incompotent to own a firearm/gun

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neilg
    Are you prepared to lose your Airgun ?
    suppose i've got a few, do they take them all? or just "the" one? hmm..... a cheap/chinese rifle sounds very useful right about now.............

a few possible "good reasons" (for a laugh)........

1) neighbour's got a mini farm/plantation thing going next door...definitely attracting/got rats. over time, rats are coming through. dogs are catching/killing them. often dead rat on drive way. poison not an option (children/pets). %-6

2) got a few snakes(anacondas) to feed, with the payments on the scooby and 7, rather shoot then buy snake food

3) indian mynas (spelling?), hundreads if not thousands used to "park-off" on the trees around the main road/shops (2km down the road). due to noise/health reasons, the trees were cut down. they've now migrated to the trees around the corner. these pests are getting rather comfortable around the garden. everyday 2-3 comes to feed from the dog bowl, and often k@k in it............

chances..............what about an air soft gun?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

These can be seen as "valid" reasons....but only if you get special permission from the town council, and that permission needs to be in writing. And yes, you shoot with the one and they will take them all, including your 50 caliber snipers rifle and your double barrel shotgun....Now your thinking that you'll only tell them about the chinese cheapie, surprise surprise, should they search your house (and they have the right since you are now a criminal and find any other "guns" you'll end up being locked up aswell) They will say that you aren't fit to own ANY firearms ! (including your potato gun)
    Their are loopholes in the new laws, question is ... are you willing to test them.

bikeless's Avatar bikeless

In order to shoot on private property all I did was get permision from the farm owner(they are very reluctant).The Nature Conservation act states that an air rifle may be used to hunt for any animal that is not considered a game animal or is not protected.I have lost the list but I do remember that Ostrich!!!! was on the list of acceptable prey.if anyone is interested I will try get my hands on the list and post it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A list of that would be excellent ! If you get your hands on the list pls advise where you got the list so that we can check on it on a regular basis.