SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Then you know why you want another ...
    The Lynx's are damned good, too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Does S&O stock Lynx?

I know the lynx are great. Blud had one on his Springer when he was younger, thinner and used to be able to shoot.

I reckon I'll save up for a Sightron again. Should take me about 2 years. Trou is duur.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

AFAIK, you can't get new Big Lynx scopes in ZA anymore. Lynx Optics will still service them tho (for free, nogal). Try a WANTED ad in the For Sale section.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'll do so when the finances allow for it...or just buy a Sightron again.

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_F View Post
    Last time I looked into the Falcons (+- a year ago), S&O were the retailer. They didn't have stock; they said they weren't getting them anymore; a lot of the recently-sold ones had issues (non-repeatable ranging, wobbly turrets, etc.); they couldn't support the ones they had sold.

So I'd avoid the Falcons (and the Nikkos - also no local support) and look for a 2nd hand Lynx or Sightron. Both have excellent local support. I'd guesstimate R5k for a Lynx and R10k for a Sightron, depending on condition & reticle of course.
    I don't believe that was the issue.... I have not seen many issues with the Falcon scopes and I still sell LOTS of their scopes here. Some issues I have heard of, where users abused the scopes. Nonetheless, if S&O had issues with scopes, Falcon would PROMPTLY REPLACE them.

Yes, you obviously cannot compare build quality of an R8000 Falcon with the R16000 of a Sightron or the R40000 of an S&B or March. But then again, you are paying only 1/2 or 1/5 the price.

I had one (small) problem with a Falcon I sold here in Canada, and I received a brand new replacement scope from Nick Watts within 5 days. For the money, there just is nothing better. And if for some reason you did end up with a bad scope, you WILL get a new one. Go read on all the European forums about these so-called "lots of issues"... there are none. There would be the odd issue yes, but not LOTS. Falcon sells a crap-load of these scopes worldwide, without major issues.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input. I have managed to get a "big nikko" and that should hold me for a while.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

This is an interesting thread, my knowledge of scopes for FT use have increased, at least I know what to look for next time.

Having visited the Gauteng 2017 open recently, i saw a variety of scopes with the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 being well represented. This leads me to think that the 10-50x60 configuration is more than adequate for shooting FT competitively at the highest levels.

While “googling” I came across the March-X with an 8-80 magnification scope and this made me think. Is the 8-80 magnification ratio a requirement of the FT fraternity of a question of showmanship? Why produce the 8-80x56 when you have the 10-60x56? At which market segment is the 8-80x56 aimed?

NOTE: I am NOT knocking the March brand, i am drooling over their products as much as the next potential customer!

Regards
    Marius

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Various thoughts in no particular order. This is my opinion, not fact...so get some salt.

What you want in FT is a "snap" in the scope when you're ranging. "Snap" means that while you're ranging, the target suddenly comes into focus and then quickly moves out of focus, so it's easier to judge the target distance. If the scope you're using doesn't provide this then ranging is going to be more challenging. And considering that ranging is a major factor in FT, you're going to sukkel somewhat.

You don't need a 10-50 (or above) scope in order to range. Lots of people successfully use a Bushnell 8-32 (because the glass is so good.) I've read of others being able to range accurately with a 6-24 scope. That said, IMO, it's easier to range with higher mag scopes.

The March scopes are excellent scopes, and many people use them (the 8-80, the 10-60 and the 5-50) successfully for FT. The glass is absolutely top notch. They weren't made specifically for FT - they just happened to be very capable (yes, there is a new FT-specific model.) They were made for crystal clear scope-vision at long distances. And they deliver very well on that end.

IME (and I say this knowing that my glasses prescription moves over time,) my March shifted. Significantly. "Shift" means that one day you range a target at 50m and the next time that target ranges perfectly at 45m (or vice versa.) End result is you miss the target.
    Speaking with other FT shooters gives different opinions - some say they shift, others say they don't. Maybe there are "lemon" March scopes, maybe ours eyes just differ, maybe dropping R50k+ on a scope makes you believe it's perfect. Personally, I would be very wary of dropping R50k+ on another March.

The Sightron scopes are a very good middle-ground. 1/3 the price of a March with almost-as-good performance. They also "snap" nicely (better than my March did.) There are also Big Nikko's that range / snap brilliantly. And Big Lynx's. You'll see them, too, on the FT scene.

My 2c. Use it, don't use it.