Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Chrony lights

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Whaaaaatt??? Here I thought you were a linux guy! Linux people don't need warranties! We fix it ourselves :-)

C. Abandon the idea of running the lights from a battery and just use a 12V power supply.
    Yeah but doing it to guns and the chrony gets a bit much, I need time to sleep too!!
    I was thinking 12v power supply, thinking of a way to sommer run the unit from it too.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    Yeah but doing it to guns and the chrony gets a bit much, I need time to sleep too!!
    I was thinking 12v power supply, thinking of a way to sommer run the unit from it too.
    I suspect the lights would work fine off a 9V power supply, in which case it would be quite simple to run the unit off it too. The only reason the 9V battery does not hold out is that because of its internal resistance the voltage quickly dips below the threshold where the lights aren't bright enough to trigger the sensors.

Incidentally tonight i found that when running on a 3 cell lipo (11.1V nominal) the lights work better when I put two layers of masking tape over the led strip(did this based on Dallas' suggestion).

I also tested in the garage where I have a fluorescent tube light and it worked fine.

For now I'm happy that I have a reliable light for indoor testing, and its portable, although the lipos I have are all too big to fit in the battery compartment. I'll see if I can get one that fits.

Anyway Kuber, if you want me to help you with setting up some lights just shout. You're also welcome to have some of my extra LED strip.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi guys

If you dont mind me tapping your brains here, I have a question.

My chrony F1's light shields broke (dont ask - 308 Howa, a bit closer to the rifle than it should have been )

Anyway - I made new ones from perspex, and I painted them to be semi-transparent white, but the chrony is struggling outside in the outdoor.

Indoors, the lights you are talking about will solve my problem, but can you suggest a solution for outdoors use? (no F1 chrony spares in the country, and I am not keen to order from abroad)

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    try putting the LED's on top of the diffuser....the sensors don't like direct light....i was also having random results until i tried it....works perfectly now....
    I got 2 long slim led worklights ( R50 each ) stick them ontop of the defuser and works well.