Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check-ups For Scuba Tanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Check-ups For Scuba Tanks

Do I have to get my scuba tank checked up and serviced regularly/annually as recommended for divers? I don't dive and my scuba tank just sits in my cupboard, for refilling my PCP and nothing else. Is it necessary that I go through the same strict regime of regular check-ups recommended for divers?

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

oh yes,every 1 year a visual and every 4 years hydro test.other wise they dont fil it.a cylinder is a bomb,stick to the rules

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Law states that they have to be checked (the 2 tests), and it is a BOMB if not looked after !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well, I consider myself well warned. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yep, they'll give it a visual, check for neck cracks etc... Then proceed to belt the tanks yoke with a hammer and stamp, chipping off the paint. All in the name of safety.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That's it ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I once heard of a guy that said:"The last time me and the old lady went out together was when my dive bottle exploded and we both went through the roof."

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anyone know how they 'stamp' carbon fibre bottles? Don't think I'd like to try and stamp that stuff. The number stamp would ricochet all over the shop - prolly taking a thumb with it. :<

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The stamp is just for convenience, the official certificate is the paper one with all the testing house details on it. Composite tanks either have a sticker on for convenience or you will need to produce the test certificate.
    BTW, should a compressor operator not be satisfied with the authenticity of the stamp, they can refuse to fill the tank until the certificate is produced and varified.
    Should anybody have problems with their tank being failed when tested or people refusing to fill their tank, please do a web search on scuba tanks that have popped (often while being filled), and have some sympathy for the poor idiot who was standing near the bottle.
    P.S. There have been a lot of tanks failed lately, and I have heard rumours in the dive circles about filing the failed stamp off / restamping the tank with a homade proofmark, and selling it to an "idiot " airgunner. I know that tihs has happened, so please insist on an in date test certificate with any tank you buy...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My tank was doomed today. Took it for a refil and was told that the old "DOT" alu bottles are now illegal. So now I'm sitting without a tank. Last Alu tank I ever bought. ~

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hmmm. Okay I never got a certificate with my tank - should I have? The bottle still looks quite new and the stamps look good. It's in spec - what should I do now?
    I mean do I have to pay for a new test just to get the certificate?

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Aha, that must be Gra (Graham I supose you are to modest to call yourself Eagle Eye or maby Chicken Hawk?!), welcome.
    Maybe you will agree, I think it even more of a necessity for air gunners to have their dive tanks checked regularly as we tend to use our tanks more offten (more fills per year) than the average diver so causing more stress. Also rapid pressure drops (filling rifles to quickly etc) cause moisture so steel tanks need checking for rust.
    Lets all use common sense and enjoy our sport with out any misshaps.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I didn't get a test certificate when I bought my scuba tank - I bought it still new, from a professional diver. The day I bought it, I took it straight to a diving shop for a hydro test, visual inspection and refil, and no one asked for a test certificate. Two days ago, I took it in for an annual visual test and a refil, this time to a different diving shop (I've got about three diving shops nearby) and still no one asked for a test certificate.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm about due for a fill, will only get round to it during the week though. I'll quizz the dive shop / school owner some.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I mean how big a deal is this test certificate anyway if dive shops around Jo'burg aren't asking for it when refilling these bottles?