Thread: CO2 Maintenance cartridge , Also for PCPs?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default CO2 Maintenance cartridge , Also for PCPs?

Hi
    Just heard from my 12 year old nephew that he has to use a maintenance cartridge every now and then in his CO2 pistol.
    Is this also applicable to PCP's if so what, how and when ? I will appreciate your inputs. A Great day to all.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The maintenance cartridge is just another gimmick used to part fools from their money. I bet that information came from the maintenance cartridge salesman?

Ok seriously now, the product you are talking about is just a Co2 bomb with some machine oil mixed into it. Its a very good thing to use in Co2 pistols to lubricate and preserve the seals however they are very expensive and no better than a few drops (or a quick spray) of oil into the valve where the Co2 bomb is normally inserted. I use sewing machine oil because I think its the best, but iv also used just about every other type of oil generally found in a workshop with no perceivable difference.

Co2 operates at very low pressure and at very low temperatures so oil is quite safe to use with just about any oil. PCP's on the other hand operate at very high pressure and unlike Co2 causes spikes in temperature when filling.

NEVER PUT OIL OF ANY KIND INTO AN HPA SYSTEM!!!!!!

im sure this thread will see some pics of what happens when you do

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

+1

Rest in Peace Uncle Alan 4/11/2016

User Info Menu

Read/heard somewhere that after every 2nd or 3rd co2 cylinder put a drop of oil on the top of the spout when replacing the new canister. Suppose to help preserve the life of the seal. If it actually does I have no idea but I do it anyway.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

It's as Paris says, they are expensive in comparison to the normal CO2 cartridge. I inherited a couple when I bought a CO2 pistol and they are marked R39.99. I just put a drop of Hydraulic oil on the nipple before screwing in the next cartridge.

Kevin from Airvolution advised me on the following procedure with PCPs and I have 2 of his and a Daystate. After every couple of fills, put a drop of Hydraulic on the nipple with your next top up. I do this very time I shoot and I have no issues at all. In my kit is a syringe and needle filled with Hydraulic oil.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes, but the caveat here is HYDRAULIC OIL! It has a much higher flashpoint than standard lubricating oils used for CO2

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys. Always appreciative of your advice . Have an awesome week.