Thread: Grobler Cutlery Kitchen knife for sale

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Grobler Cutlery Kitchen knife for sale

I have a 210mm Gyuto for sale for R1300 excl. shipping, Shipping to major centres will be R60. I prefer pick up, to make sure that you know what you are getting.

A Gyuto is the japanese take on a french chef's knife, with important points that it is ground thinner near the edge and the heat treat is harder, as such the edge is slightly more fragile, but it cuts better and can have a more acute edge. It will be fine jointing poultry and doing deboning work, but don't expect it to chop through bones. Cutting on glass, ceramic, steel or stone will blunt the edge. This is normal even for samurai swords, broad swords, ninja swords and persian swords... And they don't fare very well in the kitchen.The blade shape is a balance between slicing and light chopping. You can grip the handle and pinch the blade in a variety of ways to use the knife in slightly different holds care of the simple handle shapes and comfortable finger rest.

The steel is Sandvik 14c28n, hardened to approximately 60 points on the Rockwell C scale. The blade is about 3mm thick and not very flexible. It is as yet unsharpened, but will be sharpened for the purpose you require. The edge will easily shave arm hairs and hairs off your head when you get it, it is however not a razor. A razor can't do what this knife will do...

I can recommend an edge anywhere between 13 and 20 degrees per side (dps) without suffering unexpected failure, a 13 dps edge does require more care than a 20 dps edge, 16 degrees is a handy compromise. The blade and handle is sanded to 2000 grit, but not buffed, as I don't have a buffing machine, this aids easy cleaning, the grind marks on most kitchen knives are somewhat sharp and trap food causing rust and the need for more cleaning than a simple wipe with a soapy cloth. All my knives have a free, carry-in sharpening service included, but if you want to, i can show you how to do easy edge maintenance and also sharpening. It has no sheath, so reserve a nice spot for it, free from tangling with other kitchen utensils.

It has two handle options, once you have chosen though, the choice becomes permanent. The choice is between left-handed and ambidextrous. The left handed option is typical japanese d-shaped handle and also has a slight cast (i.e. the handle is at an angle to the left of the of the blade to facilitate normal people some elbow space). Right handed people generally don't notice a thing when they pick up the left handed version, but they say Ahhhh! when they put it in their left hand...

The ambidextrous handle is ovoid in cross section and slightly bulged just forward of the centre to facilitate many grips and a more full feel in the hand. Ask your wife to explain the importance of this ;-) It is also slightly slanted for better knickle clearance...

Yes I try these different options when I make knives. The way things operate and feel are important to me, as in any craft. You are welcome to come and test these handles to see what feels best, we may even discuss another handle option, but that may cost money.

Both handles are a composite of Chacate (Guibourtia conjugata) for the ferrule part or collar, and "hard pear" (Olinia ventosa) for the main part of the handle. The handle is fairly subtle and finished with a home made blend of olive oil and beeswax, that you apply sparingly when the wood appears dry. I am currently applying the wax every day or two, over time it will be done every week or so and even less.

Images are of lefthanded option only, phone died... camera died... and I have been buying steel only.

Grobler Cutlery Kitchen Knife

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Photo of the two handle options

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

OK having spoken to my marketing person about salesmanship this afternoon...

How would you feel if every slice left a cucumber so thin, crisp and fresh as the day it was plucked? Every tomato is sliced with no squashing and your previous sad salad looks like it jumped out of an advertisement... When you, the man of the house must joint a raw chicken, and it feels like there was no joint. When duty calls for the perfect fish fillet, and you choose your fish with scales, because frankly, you'll do a neater job of slicing off the scales, none of this bruising scraping nonsense...
    A good knife that was created with but one goal... to cut and cut really well, it does this by being sharp, finely ground, and balancing perfectly in your hand... not to withstand every dumbass that chucks a sharp knife in the sink or the dishwasher...It was not built to a pricepoint... in fact the cost was chosen after the build. That 8+ inches of cold hard steel will transform your food and awaken the kitchen god... ramsey or oliver, who's it gonna be?

So the question you gotta ask yourself... do you feel ready to be a kitchen god?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Awesome knife! I am slowly ditching all my "normal" kitchen knives for Japanese knives. There is no comparison.
    If this is sold before I get this provident fund I'm working on will you consider making more to sell?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I will eventually make to order, once I am fairly sure the knife will come out as intended... Currently I do what I like, but I have a few people who chat to me about what they like in a knife and I let my mind and hands wander about that, and by the time it gets ready they may choose to buy it, and they get to choose a handle... the closer the concept is to my heart, the shorter the unspecified timeframe will be... Right now I am making a knife "for" the guy we buy pasture reared beef from... specifically to skin and gut cattle. Except it musn't look like a kitchen knife...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

id take one with a chisel edge if youre going to be making more of these

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    id take one with a chisel edge if youre going to be making more of these
    A Gyuto doesn't usually go with a chisel edge, the edge could still be made a chisel, but the rest of the grind is even both sides...
    Why do you want a single bevel / chisel edge? Left or right?... am busy with a fairly LARGE Nakiri / vegetable cleaver at the moment... you could have that single bevelled... I am also going to do some more traditional very thin extremely sharp, reasonable nakiri out of carbon steel soon... Nakiri can be single or double bevel... but usually double bevel...

If you want sashimi or deba knife, they are typically single bevel...

Nakiri
    Grobler Cutlery Nakiri

Yanagiba

Yangiba Knife