Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Lightning XL FAC Model

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA Lightning XL FAC Model

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted anything, been reading a lot of what is already posted to familiarize myself with some of the lingo used on the forum. So I was recenlty asking a whole heap of questions around a descent PCP, unfortunately at the end of the day the initial setup was just too much for my pocket at this stage and so I settled for the BSA Lighting XL. I have not been able to find much info on this particular rifle on the forum, however I did come across a post on the "for sale\wanted" forum and if I'm not mistaken Tomkat purchased the same rifle from Andrew not too long ago.

I was hoping to get a bit of advice from someone with a bit of expericne with this particular rifle, basic questions I guess around performance and some tips that might have been picked up along the way. I am not entirely sure what is meant by the term tuning of the rifle, perhaps someone can explain what this entials.

I am enjoying the rifle but have not been able to find a club close by for me to really start enjoying the sport with some fellow air rifle nuts!

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CLUB OR RANGE CLOSE TO THE RANDBURG\WESTRAND AREA?

Look forward to hearing from you guys, you seem to know it all!!

Protea FT Team '10

User Info Menu

Hi Bulls-Eye

I owned a BSA Lightning XL however sold it a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed the rifle and it was a pleasure to shoot once it was detuned. The original FAC version had quite a kick and as a result damaged my scope. I had it detuned and the spring replaced, after approx 1000 pellets it started to settle and felt a lot better than the original setup. The only reason I sold mine was because I wasn't using it anymore after I bought my S400.

Hope this helps...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

De-tune, then you will really enjoy your rifle, recoil opens groups and kills scopes especially on a light, compact gun!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I want to ask a silly question. What does FAC stand for?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Fire Arms Certificate, a term used in the uk for rifles over 12fpe.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Fire arms certificate. This is because the power is above 12 foot pounds and in britain this would require the certificate.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Damn that was fast Arnie you slpped past me as I was proof reading my post impgrin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I was googling today, but got nowhere.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well, in your defence it's hardly self explanatory and had me scratching my head too.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

And I used my phone to type that Andrew

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Respect!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't believe them Quentin. The word is just wrongly spelled.
    If it breaks your scope, you will remember the correct spelling.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Before that happens, you can go there:
    Very nice FT range in Lanseria (Dirt Ryders)
    Target/bench shooting and parctice with some FT targets, at Guthries, close to Kyalami (also archery and firearms)
    Target practice in Durban Deep (also open on Sundays)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have got a BSA Lightning Xl thats brand spanking new...I thought it was FAC so I brought a 12fpe spring...now i have 2 12 fpe springs anyway i was waiting for JSB pelelts and decided to strip the gun inthe meantime to give it a lube tune( remove the factory gunk and lightly grease the piston and i tarred the spring to quite it down...it worked a treat!!!!!!!! But beware the guns mainspring is under a lot of tension and it must be removed with a spring compressor. I may have overdone the lubing a bit but thats ok....got he gun together, last night got a tin of JSB;s from j m (thanks a lot) and then i settled down to get to know the gun a bit better....

One is really surprised at the damn handiness and instant pointability of the gun..its will mak a great hunter in confined spaces. I started shoting and there was still dieseling ( i put sone grease in front of the piston aswell) after a few shots it became less...i was only shooting 13meter aand shot a really awesome 5 shot groups with 4 pellets going through the same hole that was slightly bigger than a single pellet and 1 flyer that landed 1 cm from the group. I havent shot for accuracy for months now but am so far really impressed. I have pice but gforgot the freakin data cable at home Bulls eye i think this a great gun but in 12 fpe version, the 14-15fpe FAC one will be too harsh i think.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

spring compressor is not required...a 2nd person can help with removal and refitting of the spring.

at 14 ft\lbs they are HORRIBLE to shoot.

do not ever put grease in front of the piston seal in a springer...only on the sides.

out of the box they do around 10 to 10.5 ft\lbs, never 12.