Thread: FPS affected by cold weather?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default FPS affected by cold weather?

How much do you guys think the FPS should change from our summer to winter?
    I know it's not full on winter yet, but this morning it was around 13C here at my place. In the summer at around 30C my rifle was shooting 79x fps.

Is this actually worth considering even? Would the POI be offset that much as to make a difference?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I set my EV2 up in spring time to shoot 785 fps. In Germany last summer we were shooting in 30 degrees and the EV was still at 785, last winter, on several occasions I was shooting my home course, temp 0 degrees. Velocity, 785fps.

If the gun is set up right with hammer spring and reg/ air pressure, it will not change that much. Expansion of different metals is more likely to cause a POI shift.

Neil

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Interesting NeilM. Say can you recall if the German shoot was more or less sea level aswell? Wondering if altitude would make a similar neglible fps change?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The German shoot was in Northern Bavaria, so we were a fair way above sea level.

At home I shoot anywhere from 2000 ft above to only 50 ft above. I must admit air density has never occured to me, except on cold still winter days, when the pellet will fall low.

The Americans are the real temperature experts, the variations we get in the UK are nothing in comparison to the States. We get ten degrees morning to midday, they get that in an hour :O

Neil