Thread: Question and Advice on Scope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Question and Advice on Scope

Hi guys, I am experiencing a bit of an issue, it would appear that the reticle inside my scope is no longer true 90 degrees with the elevation and windage adjusters on the top and right, in other words (lamens terms) the adjusters are positioned at true 90 degrees as they should be and the reticle appears to be rotating inside the scope in an anti-clockwise direction so the adjusters are sitting at 12 and 3 o'clock whilst the reticle appears to be moving more to the 11 o'clock 2 o'clock position. What do you think the problem is? I am taking the scope into the shop where I purchased it tomorrow but want to have my ducks in a row before I go.

Look forward to the feedback.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the reticle ring inside the scope simply came loose...quite an easy fix on most scopes...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

what scope and on what rifle?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Its quite simple it is broken supplier should replace was it on a springer and was the scope spring rated

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is a BSA Lightning XL - the guy at the shop put the whole kit together, it was only after reading a few threads on this forum that I found out about the spring rating etc. Anyhow, this is a BSA Panther 2.5 - 10 x 44, BSA rifle and BSA scope. Guido, is it something I should even try and fix myself seeing as the kit is probably less than 2 months old and sold to me on the advice of the shopkeeper!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

BSA scopes fail quite regularly...especially if your Lightning is FAC rated since it will kick like a baby mule..

take it back...but changing the scope to another one exactly the same will not solve your problem in the long run.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ok thanks, by the way it is the FAC. So if I get to negotiating a rerund, what scope should I ask for as a replacement, even if it means putting in a few rands, bearing in mind the short length of the Lightning and the cocking action, it will have to be short enough for that still.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I would strongly advise you detune the BSA to sub 12 ft\lbs.
    I have done a few here in Cape Town and it transforms the rifles into really sweet rigs.

The BSA is far too light to have such a powerful spring...bear in mind in the UK they run just over 10 ft\lbs and are highly rated as accurate little springers at that power level

I would think that even springer rated scopes will eventually fail..it is quite common...save yourself the headache

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I fully intend tuning it with a kit in the near future, Venom, V-match or maccari, but for now I just want to shoot it a bit. I have seen elsewhere on the forum someone mentioned a scope with a lifetime warranty, if it breaks they swap it? Which scope would you recommend I fit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sharp Edge I presume?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

think he is refering to n/s airkings

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry, I meant the shop He bought the rifle from.