Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training and Practice for Field Target / HFT competitive shooting

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Default Training and Practice for Field Target / HFT competitive shooting

With all the talk that's been going on the forum regarding the Worlds shoot to be held next year, the competitive guys here at AAC are getting there ducks in a row - we have quite a few shooters who are taking this business seriously!

I thought it would be good to hear from other competitive shooters, maybe those who have shot Nationals and Internationals to share some tips regarding practice / preparation for an event.
    Hopefully we can have all the SAFTAA details / memberships, etc. sorted out ASAP so we can concentrate on the bussiness at hand - SHOOTING!

Iny feedback would be great.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

This is what I do: 1st, I check that my rifle shoot within the set limit of 12ft/lbs. Then I make sure my turret settings are correct, by shooting at paper targets (every day)from 10m - 50m. When shooting overseas, then from 8m - 50m.

Then I shoot as much as possible at the fall down targets that we use for FT. I try to shoot at least 2 hours a day, for the final 3 weeks before a big mach. I esspecially do a lot of shooting, lately in the wind, as I know that I have battled lately, when the wind blew.

I practise at least another hour in the evening, indoors, on my standing. Standing is the one discipline, where you can get an edge on your opponents, or loose it.

I don,t think that you can maintain top form, by doing anything less. Throughout this practise excersises, I keep a log of the atmospheric conditions, nl: temp, humidity, air density, barometric press, dew point, wetbulb temp,and heat index. By doing so, I know when to expect the POI to change. It normally change by as much as 8 clicks, within minutes.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Piet, I reckon you need a blonde secretary to help you with all the notes you keep.
    I shot with Lucas about 2 years ago when the top dogs graced us with their presence here in Durban and learnt so much in those 50 targets, far more than anything I could have read.
    Between him and Piet they were very free with their advice, good to see in this day and age.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Curt.. You guys could invite me along to your pratice session I may not be able to impart but am sure I can learn from you guys

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1209654390=Piet Skiet]
    This is what I do: 1st, I check that my rifle shoot within the set limit of 12ft/lbs. Then I make sure my turret settings are correct, by shooting at paper targets (every day)from 10m - 50m. When shooting overseas, then from 8m - 50m.

Then I shoot as much as possible at the fall down targets that we use for FT. I try to shoot at least 2 hours a day, for the final 3 weeks before a big mach. I esspecially do a lot of shooting, lately in the wind, as I know that I have battled lately, when the wind blew.

I practise at least another hour in the evening, indoors, on my standing. Standing is the one discipline, where you can get an edge on your opponents, or loose it.

I don,t think that you can maintain top form, by doing anything less. Throughout this practise excersises, I keep a log of the atmospheric conditions, nl: temp, humidity, air density, barometric press, dew point, wetbulb temp,and heat index. By doing so, I know when to expect the POI to change. It normally change by as much as 8 clicks, within minutes.
    [/quote1209654390]
    I am still trying to recover from reading this an hour ago.

Piet you are the master :bowdown This is why you stay in top form.Skill and dedication can only lead to 1 thing .Success.

I dont quite have that amount of time handy , to do as you do.

Here is what I do at the moment.

i also record my weather data

Every morninh I get to work and shoot 100 shots at 4 predetermined distances.
    13mm at 20m
    20mm at 30m
    30mm at 40m
    40mm at 50m

More or less 25 shots per target.If I am having a problem on a target I spend more time on it.Try hard to learn from your mistakes.Always ask yourself "why did I miss" Piet said something important to the kids once.If you practice do it properly.Every shot you bugger around on is another shot wasted and an opertunity to learn bad techinique .I used to do 200 shots in an hour but I found that this lead to bad form in comps as you tend to rush the shot.Now I rather concentrate on my shooting form rather than speed.

Every evening when possible I once again shoot 100 to 200 shots at the office depending on time and workload.

Kneeling and standing I take part in the AAOC postal shoot and use these targets as practice.I however know that this iw way too little positional training.

I have said it before in other threads.If you shoot a sport you need to spend time doing what you do at comps.So fot FT/HFT spend time on the distances and targets you will shoot in comps.

I think there is also something to be said for reading books on shooting technique.However you need to remember not all people can shoot the same way.Breathing methods provided in these books help to calm you and thats always a good thing.

There also comes a point where you reach a peak.If this peak is not what you want for yourself you need to ask people you trust to help you push through.Some people will not help you.They will just hold you back.

look at what the pro shooters do.If you can use what they do to improve your skill , take it and adapt it to your shooting system.

Sorry guys got a bit carried away at the end .

User Info Menu

One thing I noticed, is that I miss more shots due to bad "ranging", than to bad technique. When practicing, you tend to shoot at pre determined targets, as Allan said, and you dont check yourself for ranging correctly. I stand up during shots, walk to a different spot, range, and shoot. That way you get used to ranging correctly, between each shot.

What I said to the youngsters is. "NEVER DO BAD PRACTICE" By that I mean, rather shoot less shots, and concentrate on your technique, and consistancy, than shooting a box load of pellets, and you did not focus on all of them.

This is the 5 main points that I do, before each shot. (In this order)

1. "Automatic direction", in all dissiplines, and more so in standing

2."Breathing" While getting my final aiming point, I exhale fully, without forcing air out of my lungs. This way, you don't have any muscles in your neck, shoulders, and back under tention. Your hart, is also not confined in a smaller area, due to your lungs been inflated. All this makes for a steadier platform to shoot from. You can easily cope without a full lung, for at least 10 seconds. This is more than enough time to make a good shot, when you had your final aiming point, when you exhailed. Another reason for exhailing, is to get a definitive stop position. Unlike breathing out half way, where you tend to manipulate the resting area of your retical's horizontal hair. Slightly more in, or out, and the crosshair drop, or climb, depending in which position you shooting in. All out, and it finds a deffinative resting point.

3 "Focus on the crosshair" This is imperatiff to the next, and last step. You cannot focus on the target, and let your crosshair dangle somewhere in the kill zone, when the shot goes off.

4. " Sqeeze the trigger" You can only sqeeze the trigger, when the crosshair is in the right possition, on the target. That is why you should focus on the crosshair, that is not static, rather than on the target, that is standing dead still. If your scope is zeroed correctly, and there is no influence from wind, your shot should sit, where your crosshair was the moment the shot went off.

5. "Follow through" This is nothing else, than having a mental picture in your mind, of where the crosshair was, the moment the shot went off. You should be able to "call" the shot, before you see where the shot actually did hit. So, if you did not focuss on the crosshair, then you cannot follow through. It help's to keep your rifle in the same position for at least another 2 seconds, after the shot.

You can elaborate much more on each of this basic points, but if you practise this, then your shooting will improve drastically.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1209663612=Piet Skiet]

"NEVER DO BAD PRACTICE"

[/quote1209663612]
    I forgot the exact words.There you go straight from the horses mouth

I think he makes good sense.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Always knew I wanted to be a farmer.

You can plough with a pellet

Deadlinks_imagefiles/plough_copy1_resized.jpg[/img]

User Info Menu

Gee.........., but the wind was strong. It pushed you completely of the target.

With the amount of pellets that I can see lying around, you must have shot a coule of tins out.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Piet , I have had my target that now has the 13mm reducer on it for the longest. I will shoot throught the paddle 1 of these days.The paddle is quite badly deformed wherer the 13mm reducer is not protecting it .

Gamo knockover targets rule

User Info Menu

I argree. I have shot mine to smitherines, and is yet to have one that fails. They stand outside, in the wind, rain and sun, 365 days a year. No maintanance, or adjustments, whatso ever.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. Also have not had any problems with our Gamo Targets.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Piet S Kiet, exellent advice, please give us more

User Info Menu

Good tip: On sqeezing the trigger, till the shot goes off, don't move your trigger finger, till after you have followed through. It serves no purpose to let go of the trigger, the moment the shot goes off. It will only influence the grip, you have on your rifle with your trigger hand, and therefore interfere with your follow through. Keep your finger exactly where it was, the moment the shot goes off.

This also must be the case with your head. Keep it dead still, till after your follow through.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Does it help to lube your pellets?