Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoben Rapid Stock Revamp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anodising can be very fussy you're right, If I were you I would powder coat it "sandpaper" black, it resists scratches, marks and fingerprints the best. Satin black tends to go glossy in areas that are frequently rubbed or touched. Also the powder coat will hide all the marks completely. Just my .

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

Will take it into my local powder coater and have a chat...thanks for input its always welcome.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Satin vs texture powder coat.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for input....

Spoke to the Powder Coater and he was worried that with the powder coating being quite a thick coating that i was going to loose some of the markings stamped and engraved on bottle, also he pointed out that should it get knocked or damaged its not so easy to repair.
    This i do not want to happen so it looks like i am back to spray painting. The cylinder is not handled very much so the finish should last and look good for a long time. At least with spraying it if it does start looking shabby or gets marks on it, it can be repaired a lot easier than powder coating can.

Drewton thanks a lot for the suggestions as looking into the various options one learns a lot more about the pros and cons of going certain ways. Luckily for me i have known my anodiser and powder coater for over 20 years so i don't as a rule get fed any bullshit and they look at my problems from all angles....Live and Learn is a motto i live buy and realised along time ago that one is never to old to learn something new.
    Last edited by Mark H; 13-08-15 at 10:06.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Verry nice, love the wood grain!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Thanks again for input....

Spoke to the Powder Coater and he was worried that with the powder coating being quite a thick coating that i was going to loose some of the markings stamped and engraved on bottle, also he pointed out that should it get knocked or damaged its not so easy to repair.
    This i do not want to happen so it looks like i am back to spray painting. The cylinder is not handled very much so the finish should last and look good for a long time. At least with spraying it if it does start looking shabby or gets marks on it, it can be repaired a lot easier than powder coating can.

Drewton thanks a lot for the suggestions as looking into the various options one learns a lot more about the pros and cons of going certain ways. Luckily for me i have known my anodiser and powder coater for over 20 years so i don't as a rule get fed any bullshit and they look at my problems from all angles....Live and Learn is a motto i live buy and realised along time ago that one is never to old to learn something new.
    Only a pleasure bud! Glad I could be of help, he's right about if it gets damaged, the powdercoat is very tough and hard being a polyester coating, would be difficult to sort it out without stripping the coating and refinishing.

User Info Menu

Stock has had 5 coats of oil to date one to go and air cylinder has been given its primer and first coats of black paint....will post pictures when i get chance. This week due to work commitments nothing will get done until the weekend.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What oil you using Mark?

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Stock has had 5 coats of oil to date one to go and air cylinder has been given its primer and first coats of black paint....will post pictures when i get chance. This week due to work commitments nothing will get done until the weekend.
    Heathen. What the hell's wrong with lumo orange? Huh?

I'm very impressed with what you've accomplished, Grumpy. Well done. Wish I had the patience and inclination to do mine.

REP: Xtreme Airguns

User Info Menu

Textured anodising looks really good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    What oil you using Mark?
    Saxon i use Original Danish Oil from Hardware Centre.....my preference and easy to fix any future nicks or dings.

User Info Menu

Stock after 5 coats of Danish oil and a close up of the anodised aluminium inserts that have been installed. The inserts are a nice touch i think and the original owners idea was a good one
    i think he will appreciate seeing his idea pan out so well...

Last edited by Mark H; 19-08-15 at 09:15.

User Info Menu

The cylinder after being primed and painted black, if it was MarkF's he would of wanted it luminous Orange.....

Last pic also shows the Rubber butt pad that has also been cleaned up with car dashboard spray.
    This rifle is going to look like new when finished and then i am going to whip MarkF's arse with it in the bench rest shoots....
    Last edited by Mark H; 20-08-15 at 08:32.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_F View Post
    Heathen. What the hell's wrong with lumo orange? Huh?

I'm very impressed with what you've accomplished, Grumpy. Well done. Wish I had the patience and inclination to do mine.
    When i am not busy one of these days MarkF we will discuss doing yours because that old lady of yours also deserves a facelift......

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Really looks very good.