Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoben Rapid Stock Revamp

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

Default Theoben Rapid Stock Revamp

I recently got my hands on a Theoben Rapid 5mm rifle which i am extremely pleased with. The rifle came with a Walnut stock that had been Varnished and i in my wisdom wanted to buff it up as it was looking a bit dull. The result was not exactly what i expected and YES i did slap myself for being a total jerk, also knew if i turned up at a shoot with that damage the previous owner as well as a couple of others would of slapped me and rained verbal abuse upon me...which i would not of been able to endure and would of got very GRUMPY....

As i am a bit anal regarding wood and do not like varnished finishes anyway i decided to strip it and redo it with Danish oil.
    Out came the Nitromors, brush and blade. This is what it looked like before i started.....

Then the stripper was applied left for about 20 minutes and the crap job of scrapping of all the gunk started... due to hands cramping i cannot wear gloves
    which is not lekker when working with Stripper...

Blade used for scrapping in right hand picture, obviously the Checkering could not be scrapped but a light brushing with a wire brush removed all the gunk and left it undamaged much to my delight. The bottom picture shows the last bit with stripper nearly ready to be removed.

As the stripper removed all the varnish i was getting more and more excited about the grain pattern which is really exquisite and the varnish did not do it justice at all. What it did show me was that the varnish had hidden quite a bit of rough workmanship done by the manufacturers in the harder to get to areas but that i can sand out.

This was the outcome after i had finished and wiped it all down with white spirits and given it a bit of a sanding to take out some of the old dings and marks and cleaned up some of the manufacturers rough work. Sorry the pictures are so crap but i have not replaced my Phone yet so pictures like my other threads....crap...
    Last edited by Mark H; 11-08-15 at 12:31.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Now that looks like an interesting project for you Mark. The Daystate stock you oiled for me is in perfect condition. Keep posting pics of your progress.

Kind regards

Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike, these are the pictures after i had wiped it down and done a bit of sanding, might add that i started this on Sunday after i left Nomads and these following pictures where taken late on Sunday evening....I am impatient and once i get stuck in don't like to stop....

Monday morning early back into the workshop, the previous owner had, had the holes in the bottom of the stock drilled out bigger by Oom Piet a while ago so that he could install some aluminum
    tubes as added protection to the wood and a bit of bling. When i got the rifle these pieces came with it so i decided since i had the stock stripped to put them in.

After a lot of cutting and and shaping with Dremel tool and file i finally got them in and these pictures were taken before final sanding and clean up. these pieces will be removed now and anodised black to suit the rest of the rifle mechanism. While it was stripped i also decided to put in an access slot to the power adjusting screw in the back of the rifle, previously one would have to loosen the retaining bolt in the stock to get to it .... not anymore...

This also allowed me to check that all the tubes etc, worked in as much, that they did not interfere when the rifle was all put together....which they did not....but that did not surprise me because the person i got the rifle from is also very particular about that sort of thing as well.

So Monday late afternoon the stock was stripped down and given its first coat of thinned down Danish Oil...bear in mind a lot of sanding and preparation went into getting to this stage and a lot more still to be done. But check this grain out and tell me the work was not worth it.

Still have a few other things to do to this rifle and will post as we go along...Hope you guys find it interesting....
    Last edited by Mark H; 11-08-15 at 11:02.

REP: Xtreme Airguns

User Info Menu

Very very beautiful uncle H!

User Info Menu

Thanks Jaco, i finished the roofing job at home that the wife had been pestering me to do late Saturday, and was told that she would leave me alone now until after my company open house next week. So no complaints from that side and two free days to get my stuff up sorted out...hehehe!!!

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

It looks very good. It is hard word, but very satisfying when you see and feel the finished work.

User Info Menu

Next thing to tackle is the air cylinder. This unit was also purchased buy the rifles previous owner and had some type of finish on it that he did not like so he started to strip the bottle and got it pretty much clean. He is coming around to take out the valve so i can finish stripping it and then repaint it back to its former glory.

Once this is done and the stock is finished i will have one beautiful rifle don't you think......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    It looks very good. It is hard word, but very satisfying when you see and feel the finished work.
    Thanks Cor, you are so right about the satisfaction the finished product gives especially when you have done it yourself....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Very nice!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

As i am a bit anal regarding wood...
    Oh dear!

Not to worry Grumps. You are protected by the constitution.

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

My gun will look real nice in your wood

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Oh dear!

Not to worry Grumps. You are protected by the constitution.
    Sis Blud, but what can i say, different strokes for different folks....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_F View Post
    My gun will look real nice in your wood
    But my rifle looks better,in my Walnut stock than yours does in varnished beech.....

User Info Menu

Well got home last night with the Cylinder and the valve removal tool and took the valve out and applied paint stripper. 15 minutes later i had a perfectly stripped tank, gave it a good rub down with a scotch brite pad and its ready for painting.

Getting closer all the time. Also gave the stock a rub down with steel wool and its second coat of oil.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Very cool, looking forward to the finished product! Are you going to Anodise the tank or have it powdercoated?

Drew

User Info Menu

Anodising won't work on the cylinder because of all the marks and scratches that have accumulated on it over the years,also the anodiser tells me he has done a few over the years with a mixed finish quality.Don't want to go to all the effort of getting it to a perfect finish and then the anodising bombs out and i end up painting or powder coating it anyway, think i will just prime and paint it.The priming should hide any of the small marks and a couple of good coats of a Satin Black should finish it off nicely..
    Last edited by Mark H; 12-08-15 at 12:32.