Thread: Hornet Std. first report........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Hornet Std. first report........

Hi all,

finally, the baby arrived...............i was expecting the "k", but pleasantly surprised as i opened the box and saw the longer rifle version. "they" bought in a few, so i was able to choose one that had the "contour map" (beech) to my likings..........
    the overall length is only about 2" longer (barrel), and the cylinder a bit more at about 3-3.5". obviously it's front heavy, nothing to worry about though, the overall feel/handeling is pretty good. i don't think the extra 2" will have any significant effect on the pointability/movability in the field. longer cylinder = more usable shot, overall i'm a happy camper.

no "extensive" chrony sessions yet (no sun), only managed to put a few through........AAF 11.7 ftlbs, CPH 12.5 ftlbs, Bisley Mag. 12.9 ftlbs. not enough shots to comment on the consistency. it's an UK spec, so i was expecting it to do around 10.5 ftlbs, hence a bit surprised to see the ME go over the limit.

didn't go for the SAS silencer (BSA's own design), as I would prefer something better (logun/airstream/custom...or maybe one of those tasty CF ones). using the ones i've got at the moment, the locally made Woodchucks (short) performed ok, the crack's gone but nothing to write home about. parker-hale mm1, as expected, performed better. don't think any quarry would notice it 40 yds down range. cool, it will be even more quiet with one of those "high-end" silencers. interestingly the ultratec is almost as good as the P-H, unfortunately maybe due to inferior design/materials used, there's the spring-twang, and sometimes the baffles needs abit of re-alignment (very difficult/time consuming as it can't be stripped). the pro's, it's lighter (alloy) and cheap.

in the end, i've opted for the beesa contender. so far so good.

gotta go play, more to follow.................

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new TOY. Don't buy silencers, have them made at a fraction of the cost (under R200) and they perform better than most bought ones.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i think so too...........

what design do you guys find the most efficient on PCP's. i know each gun's different, just wanna get a general idea.

spring mounted small baffles to expansion chamber to sound absorbing material? ie. like the logun, spring mounted large baffles? something like the SAS, ultratech........or just fixed baffles/expansion chambers???

thanks

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The AA silencers on both my S200 and S400 are so quiet I doubt anything locally made could be better.
    Also have a Woodchuck on my Talon ...works quite well but the Manders is just as good at half the size and weight.
    The Talon unsilenced is really loud...about equivalent to a .22 short rimfire

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

still no chrony sessions yet......... got myself a new silencer though. one of those "mini" datestate/rws/manders jobbies. to my surprise it actually out performed the parker-hale.......... it's only about 105mm long and really light (alloy).

at 21m (rested) , it's pretty much hole on hole/one hole groupings with a few pellets (AAF, CPL, CPH, Bisley Mag.) at 35m and 45m (calm condition), only CPH showed the same size groupings as above. i guess it's the same with most if not all of the pcps on the market......the limiting factor (accuracy), is really the shooter.

btw, went to see the MKIII today..............i guess i will be "DATESTATE DREAMER II" from now on.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip....I have a Manders moderator on my Talon...
    It is very quiet and really small...outperforms the heavy Woodchucker and PH easily

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah, i saw your "favourable" post on airgun bbs.........but seeing/hearing is believing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    how do your other silencers compare to the AA S400 Silencer ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

difficult to compare since the AA silencer only fits on the S200\400 and all my other silencers fit on the Talon only.
    The Talon is a lot louder to begin with....