Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you believe this stupidity?

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Default Can you believe this stupidity?

My brother lives down in Natal (Howick), and is in the game capture bussiness. He captures a lot of Nyala at the Tala game ranch annually. For those that know the area, Tala is a place where you can come very close to the game.

One of the staff members were caught recently poaching, 7 x Blue Widebeest, and a couple of Impala, and Blesbuck, (and this is the part that is realy unbelievable). With a Weihraugh HW100 High power, like mine.

This is truely amazing, but needs to be condemed in the biggest way possible. People like that, will be the cause of the government, taking serious action againts us, law abiding airrifle owners.

I just wonder how many more animals is now walking around the park, with bullet wounds, that may turn septic, and make them suffer, and die a slow and agonizing death. It would take a perfect shot, everytime, to achieve this very risky task.

This sort of lunatic action must be condemed, and the culprits, must be brought to book, to save us, our sport.

It also goes to show, how leathal our "toy's" can be, if we treat them as toy's. I cannot empathise enough, of how dangerous any pellet gun can be, if used incorrectly, and that safety is not an option, but a serious matter. A matter that must be addressed at every opportunity, that we use our airrifles. Esspcially where we work with the kids, the future of our sport.

It sound unbelievable, but unfortuanately, it is true.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Im with you on this Piet.

Sad situation

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Couldn't agree more - Especially when I look at some of the "accidents" that some of the members on this Forum has had with their rifles/pistols.

I'm just wondering if we should maybe delete this thread or just the 1st 5 paragraphs. I can see how some sod uses this proof of power and goes to try it out himself. Aslo could fall under the wrong eyes...?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The question still remains, what can we do to make sure that we do not end up "paying" because a few idiots are misbehaving. Anybody can buy an air rifle and unfortunately a lot of them have no clue about the law and, as we have seen and read numerous times before, a total disregard for safety and hunting ethics. The problem is not the air rifle rather the person that use it in an irresponsible way.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

wow! wonder if they used it because it is quite? there certainly are cheaper more powerfull options out there right? can someone find out more about this?

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

This type of action must definately be condemned as it unfortunately gives us all a bad name - like it or not!

I think for this idiot doing the poaching it was probably the for 1) most affordable rifle he could afford to do his illicit poaching and 2) no licence was required. The second of these is the concern for me that the anti's will try to use to promote licencing these air-rifles. Then again, it's the "pavement specials" that get us sport lovers in the crap (mot wanting to take away anyone's buss)... maybe their needs to be some regulation as to the persons who do the selling of these airguns. As Tomcat mentioned on the "He's dead" post - before selling, point the guy to an approved range.

Just my thoughts....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There are too many powerful airrifles already out there in hands of irresponsible people. I don't know if we can ever stop this. Sad...sad....sad.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Curt, I must compliment you on your fine rifle on display. Very, very nice!!!

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Another +\- 500 grams balance weights to the butt and stock rails and she'll be a mean standing takedown machine...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I am not so sure about the "cheapest" he could buy.. and HW100 is whardly a cheap rifle and then there is the kit for filling and you need a scope as well. A .22 rimfire can be picked up for a coupla hundred on the black market and surely packs a load more punch and can be made very quiet for a few rands.. Just seems very strange for poachers to take a HW100 avenue. Anyone else here share my questions? And please by no means do I condone the action. Be it a B2 or an AK.

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

That's also true... BASTARD!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with JTK. Why the HW100? that is odd! Anyway not cool, but still wierd!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That is messed up. Who can afford to buy a 10k plus airrifle but can't afford to shoot a few impala?? Using a silenced .22 rimfire would make much more sense from a poachers point of view.

Let's hope the idiot fills his tank with hydrogen or something and has a smoke break...

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

I personally think, that it is a matter of a guy, that is obviously a person, that likes the outdoors, hence his post on a game farm, who had a HW100, and has seen how potent it is, as I did with mine.

The opportunity to try it out on bigger stuff than it was ever meant to be used on, was just to tempting, and the opportunity was there, and the poaching started. And after the first success on maybe a Impala, he tried it on bigger game. Then he saw an oppoprtunity to make money out of it, as he sold the meat to the local population in the area, including his neighbours farm workers. As it always happen, they told their friends from next door, and he was caught red handed.

I agree with taking this thread of, before the wrong eyes see it. I just thought that I would share this stupidity with you.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Very interesting.. I aggree piet.. My ERB also seems like a potent piece of hardware! Shoots through my stop (11 layers of carpet) after a shot or two on the same spot. I just cant beklieve someone will do this.