Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Rifle Cases

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default Wooden Rifle Cases

Lets try again

I am planning to make a few rifle cases. Some for myself and others to demo/sell. Two will be made from Beech (not stained) and two made from African Mahogany (stained to ebony) These cases will be fairly light 5mm skin and will be finished in polywax which leaves a satin finish that almost feels and looks like natural oiled/waxed but is much more durable. Anyways. the size I was thinking about is Length-1200mm Width-360mm and height-90mm (outer diameter) This should fit most FT rigs. I will also make smaller cases for the chapts that dont walk around with R20K race rigs. The question is how do you guys feel about the size? And is it something you would be interested in at the right price?

Thanks
    JT

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

No one have input?

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

JTK, the 90mm depth of the case is the problem i think. If i measure my rifle across the widest points it is already 96 to 96mm (across scope and parallax wheel. Then you must allow a bit of compression of the foam as well, if all the cases are going to be standard, they will need to be at least 125mm deep i would say to have adequate padding.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Curt. the case you are selling.. is it the depth or the outer dimensions that was the problem?

JT

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

btw Curt.. I have a different take on the foam. Have a look on Saterday at the shoot. was into the eg crate foam untill I got some. dont like the way it makes my rifle look once oiled. I use polyethelene and basically clamp the rifle in two places. Looks neat and your scope assembly is basically "floating" Nothing to get squashed

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What rifles will you be supplying in these cases?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lol.. which ever one you give me to put into it Mac

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

I thought you place an oredr for case and you get a free rifle of choice - Actually the HW40 would be niice with that.
    LOL......

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I can supply you my cfx if you supply me you 10-50

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ha Ha Guys. But seriously JTK like most things it would depend on price. My personal take on the clamping in only two places is that your rig is vulnerable if the case is on it's side, and it's not always possible to load the case standing up. Will check sizes and get back to you.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Tim. have a look at the case I sent you. The wood used there is cheap and nasty and the weight reflects it but have a look at how the rifle is held. Also I glue a piece in under the scope mount(which isnt in that case as I never had a scope on the cf30). This makes the rifle rest nicely when placed down in the case and when the lid is closed you can drop it and she will still be held.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

I don't want to sound cynical, but after I saw what happened to 3 out of 6 "good strong" guncases, on the Delta airline that we flew on to the States last year, I doupt it if I will ever fly again, without the strongest alluminium case, or one simular to the one Lukas have.

Hennies gun case, the same as mine, a geniune Walther case,came out unscaeth, but his scope turret was completely bent, beyond field repair. My case's one hinge was broken of, and Ziggi's handle was copletely broken of.

To top it all of, I bought a new expensive very strong case there, to fly my precious Walther back home, and they managed to brake the lock, even after I left it unlocked, as they were going to open it anyway.

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Piet this is very scary for me, especially since i'm preparing for some, shall i say, forthcoming events, which you either get in your car travel CT to JHB or fly - what's going to happen to my equipment. I'm even selective a to who i will let touch or use my equipment and that's under my direct supervision! Let alone leaving it at some airport terminal with hellbent luggage handlers...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Piet I aggree.. only "industrial" style cases will survive those kinds of trips! This is not made for that. This is a "replacement" for travel in your boot to shoot kind of thing. A replacement for a plastic case I would say. Just much prettier

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

that said.. with some mods it could end up pretty strong!