Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air rifle stirrup pumps - do they work?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Air rifle stirrup pumps - do they work?

In the UK I used a 300 bar divers' bottle, but now in SA I am considering getting a stirrup pump. Likely distance to a fill-centre plus cost of divers' bottle and fill gauge combine to make a pump the economic choice. So do pumps actually do what they are supposed to do? Is there a risk that moisture may damage the air rifle's internals? I note that the Hill Mk2 pump comes with a 'dry pack' and claims to remove practically all the moisture from air pumped into the cylinder. It's also nearly twice the price of other pumps e.g.Webley/Logun/FS/Axor. So is the Hill dry pack system worth having, or is it a solution in search of a problem. Also, Hill recommend changing pump seals every 3-4 years. Extra work and expense. Go with a pump? If so, which one?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Mick,

pumps work and yes people talk about moisture somtimes being a problem. However pumps are not bullet proof from what I read. They do give issues. How often do you get to a spot to fill a tank? Does Witsand have a diveshop? or are the closest Strand or Mosselbaai? A 12l 300bar tank will give quite a few fills you know..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

stick with a scuba cylinder...from Witsand you can go to Gansbaai or Hermanus...not too far..

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Quido, He lives in Swellendam, on the N2 inland from Witsand. So I think it is between Hermanus or Mosselbaai.. same distance probably

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

to refill the tank once every few months will be a lot easier and safer than using a pump

buy a 15L or 18L alu 232 bar tank

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would agree with guido. I had a pump. It is nice but a big hassle. Get a big cylinder and you will be sorted.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

dont listen to those guys ive had a pump for close to 4 years no problems, provided you look after it and the fittings but then again i am a recreational shooter depends on how much you gonna shoot. shoot a lot get a Scuba Tank Ocassionally like me pump works fine

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

If he shoots occasionally like you and has a scuba tank then he will need to get it filled once a year perhaps....still makes a lot more sense than a pump!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I believe pump only makes sense if you already have one or if you need to take air into the bush. much lighter than a tank. For the rest tank makes more sense. less maintenance and there are always tanks around 2nd hand.

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

For what it's worth Mick, i would rather spend that money on a dive tank.
    12l 300 bar should give you close to i reckon 50 fills. From what i've read and some pics i've seen on the net on rifle cylinders filled using pumps, i would not take the chance.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Agree with Guido. I get about 70 odd fills from a 15L tank. At 100 shots per fill that's a bloody lot of pellets in anyone's book.
    The pumps do work, I have owned and used one, but they do require more maintenance - moisture (and dirt) in your system is definitely a problem and to be avoided at all costs. Not to mention the extreme effort required to pump to 200 bar.
    Where I see a pump being usefull is if you have a smaller scuba cylinder, then you can use to the pump to top up the gun when the cylinder pressure starts dropping below 150 or so bar. You can only fill the gun to whatever pressure is left in the cylinder, so if you cant get the cylinder filled when it drops to about 175 then you can use the pump to top up the gun. Lot less effort required to top up than to fill from near empty believe me.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Connect quickfill adapter, open valve on scubatank slowly for 30-40 seconds, close, relieve excess air, disconnect and your done.!!! A lot faster than a pump and much less hassle. You wil get at least 40 -50 fills on a 12L 232 Bar cylinder. 1 minute is all it takes!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

but a pump makes you strong like bull...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Pumps are heart attack material i also have one but i think my garden boy has used it more that me

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

LOL