Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Aquarium

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default My Aquarium

HI guys

I just wanted to share some pics of my planted aquarium and some of my "pets"

Its a 480 liter tank with the following dimensions : 1m x 1m x 500cm height
    The lights are on a timer and switched on for 8 hours a day.
    I run compressed CO2 so the particles on some of the photos are just CO2 bubbles....

I only have micro fish in there as a big fish in a tank just does not look natural and my idea with this tank is to have a natural underwater scene with plant growth, moss as well as healthy amounts of algae to make everything look as natural as possible.

Livestock currently in there:

5 x Galaxy Rasbora's
    5 x Dwarf Emerald Rasbora's
    4 x Otocinclus
    5 x Normans Lampeye's
    2 x Clown Killifish
    4 x Golden Pencilfish
    a few Red Cherry shrimp of very good qaulity (which will soon be removed so they don't interbreed with the Rili)
    a few Sakura Rili Shrimp
    a few Crystal red shrimp
    a few Crystal black shrimp
    a few Golden bee shrimp

Enjoy

Last edited by Trompie; 03-11-15 at 13:00.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Very nice, did you take the pictures from inside the water?

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

Very lekker! My wife does marine - it's a helluva schlep but rewarding when you start seeing a little ecosystem develop and work.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lekker where u get your shrimp from busy serring up a nano shrimp tank also any ada gravel for the plants only need a little any suggestions

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_F View Post
    Very lekker! My wife does marine - it's a helluva schlep but rewarding when you start seeing a little ecosystem develop and work.
    yah yah... How many fish does... I mean did she have?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Great looking aquarium. Well done. Did this many years ago but eventually found that something would get into the tank and then everything would go off and nearly die. Probably the operator not doing the right things

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have 4 gold fish in a tank with a mushroom gnome house and pink plastic plants...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanx Guys
    @Ayoba - No the pics are taken from outside the tank
    @The_Twig - yes I have ADA in the middle for the plants but only dosing Flourish at the moment with CO2 in the afternoons only. I got my Caridina shrimp from a guy in capetown...and my neocaridina's all from local guys here and there over a period of time. I have had the cherries for quite some time and various strains got me some really nice painted red females. That why they need to be removed before the Rili's mess up my breedingstrains. But that is another tank that I need to put somewhere in the house...hehe

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Beautiful! That's one of the nicest tanks I've ever seen, and I've seen a couple. I love the idea of micro fish....so much nicer than just a few big fish.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ambuscher View Post
    Beautiful! That's one of the nicest tanks I've ever seen, and I've seen a couple. I love the idea of micro fish....so much nicer than just a few big fish.
    Thanx Ambuscher. Appreciate the compliment. Ja the micro fish is just awesome and makes everything seem in proportion. I could not get pics of the emerald rasboras or galaxie rasboras as they hide in the jungle when there is movement outside the tank but they are really gorgeous little fish

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dam used to have fish tanks and spent a fortune on plants as they would start to deteriorate and constantly have to be changed, how do you keep them growing and looking so good. P.S very nice tank

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith vaudin View Post
    Dam used to have fish tanks and spent a fortune on plants as they would start to deteriorate and constantly have to be changed, how do you keep them growing and looking so good. P.S very nice tank
    Get gold fish and plastic plants!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

martin... I need someone with a decent sized tank to take care of my arowana for the holidays.

Can I bring him to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Martin... I need someone with a decent sized tank to take care of my arowana for the holidays.

Can I bring him to you?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    martin... I need someone with a decent sized tank to take care of my arowana for the holidays.

Can I bring him to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Martin... I need someone with a decent sized tank to take care of my arowana for the holidays.

Can I bring him to you?
    You would have one......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post

Can I bring him to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I bring him to you?
    You would have one......

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

Many years ago i had an arowana and it ate a pet Parakeet that landed on the center tank support...all we heard was a splash when it jumped the center support and engulfed the bird before it landed on the other side. Wife was not happy seeing the fish swimming around with the birds tail feathers sticking out of its mouth.....