Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Aquarium

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith vaudin View Post
    Dam used to have fish tanks and spent a fortune on plants as they would start to deteriorate and constantly have to be changed, how do you keep them growing and looking so good. P.S very nice tank
    All to do with water health and lighting....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Howdy

Do your shrimp bread and if so do you sell?
    Those are some awesome little fellas.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TechRoss View Post
    Howdy

I'll take some breaded shrimp. They are delishis!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    I'll take some breaded shrimp. They are delishis!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    The internet should be with a capital 'I'.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

nice micro tank - never seen one before, I like the look.

I havent kept fish for many years now but Im partial to cichlids esp from africa.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanx HawkI. It was a massive jungle just before dec and my shrimps flourished and then that big hailstorm hit us and my ceiling collapsed onto the tank and all that crap into the tank and my co2 bottle fell over and broke my regulator so after cleaning the mess my plants started struggling so I added liquid co2 (Excel) but think it might be expired as my shrimps went mad and I lost probably R1500 worth of shrimps. I had to almost completely empty and refill the tank to move it when they replaced the laminate floors and the big amounts of water changes and the moving turned everything upside down and dirty and I lost few more shrimps. Well tank is stable again now and some of my females full of eggs again but the tank will take some time to return to its full glory. But when it's a proper stable jungle again I will post some more pics.
    I have a malawi tank as well...also love malawi's but they dont play well with others...hehe...so they have their own tank

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TechRoss View Post
    Howdy

Hi Techross yes they are breeding again but I lost plenty. Will contact you when i need to lower the numbers?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith vaudin View Post
    Dam used to have fish tanks and spent a fortune on plants as they would start to deteriorate and constantly have to be changed, how do you keep them growing and looking so good. P.S very nice tank
    Sorry for only replying now. Havent been to active on the forum. Yes its all about the lights and the type of plants. High tech or low tech tanks. High tech requires very good lighting and fertilisers and co2. Light needs to be on for certain period of time to make them grow but too much light causes algae. However co2 fights algae but not completely so its all test and try till you get it right but there are few basics and when you stick to that they will grow. Even if its slower than normally they still grow.
    Low tech plants need little light and very little ferts and co2 not needed. My plants are mostly not too high tech but I still have good lights and co2 so they absolutely flourish. Co2 is not needed but its like a car turbo...you dont need it for the car to drive but it does make car go much faster.
    Once the tank has settled its an ecosystem which takes care of itself. Now I only trim the plants from time to time.
    Light plays the most crucial role for plantgrowth. Every color has a spectrum and makes plants react differently. Each color penetrates water differently and also affects the growth. Some promote algae growth and some dont. My lights are on a timer. Going on 8 hours per day. 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. Plants need to rest so lights cannot be on permanently.
    There are other factors but those are the basics...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    martin... I need someone with a decent sized tank to take care of my arowana for the holidays.

Can I bring him to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Martin... I need someone with a decent sized tank to take care of my arowana for the holidays.

Can I bring him to you?
    Sorry blud...you can still bring him. He can stay in the koipond[emoji23] haha

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Very nice tank and setup!! Im also into aquariums, a very rewarding hobby and relaxing!
    Here's mine: