Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA XL Accuracy & Pellet Choice

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA XL Accuracy & Pellet Choice

Just changed the breech seal in my XL, made a huge diference to the recoil. pretty smooth now.
    Was too dark to chrony it but couldn't resist checking accuracy and a few pellets.
    Grouping not too great but wasn't really concentrating.Just wanted a general idea of pellet preference. Seems to like the 10.5 gr Bisleys, and the cheap pointed Boxers.
    Shot from offhand position with loose grip.

See attached target shot at 18m with a 4x32 scope. Orange dot about 3/4 inch dia.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Bisley Heavy seems to be the one for the XL. EL Cheapo Boxer Pointed ok for general plinking with groupings like that..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks that way. Was really surprised by the grouping of the heavies. Will try some more pellets tomorrow and see if anything else works as well. Will also put it over the chrony.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Do NOT use 10+ gr pellets in it, the spring will fail prematurely..

It likes Accupels and JSB Exacts.

The Lightning XL takes getting used to since it is a very light springer with quite a sharp recoil.
    Trigger is on the heavy side and also takes some getting used to..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Do NOT use 10+ gr pellets in it, the spring will fail prematurely..

It likes Accupels and JSB Exacts.

The Lightning XL takes getting used to since it is a very light springer with quite a sharp recoil.
    Trigger is on the heavy side and also takes some getting used to..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Normally I would agree with you Guido, but I called BSA to get their opinion on the problems and they said that strangely they had found that the XL seems to enjoy heavier pellets and they have not had any come backs since reccomending them. The rifle feels noticeably smoother while shooting the heavy's too. Have adjusted and polished the trigger and it is really quite acceptable now. Haven't weighed it but it is light enough now not to be a problem for most guys. I find it quite predictable and definitely much better than before.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

By the way, The "nick" in the breech seal is not supposed to be there, as you guys suggested. I have seen a new one now and figured out the problem.
    The new seals have a "V" groove down the inside to allow for easier fitting and removal. (allows one to remove it easily and turn it over without damaging it).
    The face of the seal does not have any defects on it. (Makes sense since otherwise how would it seal effectively).
    The seal on this rifle failed about a milimeter or more away from the "V" groove as well. The groove was not the cause of the failure.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quido/Tim , do you know HWY exactly it is that shooting a too heavey pellet in a springer , can damage the spring? Due to the "sluggish-ness" (for lack of a better word) of the heavier pellet or " traagheid" (in afrikaans) that produces more resistance when the shot is fired ?
    Last edited by Vuilhond; 11-05-08 at 09:46.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The heavier pellets may cause the spring to bounce at the end of the stroke - is the reason.
    The air cushion that is formed just befor ethe pellet starts moving is designed to prevent the spring from smacking into the end of the compression chamber. With heavy pellets, the pellet starts moving too slowly and therefore the spring could bounce.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I think it is due to the extra resistance and some piston bounce.
    I find than on TX200s and HW97s the recoil feels significantly harsher with heavier pellets.

I have also read very often on the overseas forums about premature spring failure with heavy pellets in .177....I have never had a way of testing this though.

Tomcat, I would still be a little hesitant besides what BSA may tell you...check the recoil characteristics yourself.
    You will also have a very loopy trajectory with heavy pellets at 11 fpe.

Glad you sorted out your BSA...hope your faith is restored!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I hear you Guido, but should point out that most of the problems result from heavy pellets in standard guns with piano wire springs. A good aftermarket spring and piston seal is way stronger, gives better lock times and is much more resilient to abuse.
    I would definitely not try heavy pellets in any of the gamo's for instance. The standard springs will definitely not last. I have fitted a maccari spring to one of my gamos and the difference in lock time is noticeable. The spring is also almost twice as thick as the standard spring. Recoil is smooth as silk and accuracy much improved.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yeah, the way I understand it.. heavy pellet and the piston bounces on the air cushion cause the pellet does not move soon enough. this causes the sprind to compress again very quick as it is dcompressing = bad. to light a pellet and the piston slams into the front too hard as the pellet is moving to soon and thus the cushion of air is not there to stop the forward motion = bad as well. If you are intent on shooting heavier pellets you can increase the piston weight. This will help get the piston home during the firing cycle without bounce. This does increase recoil though. And no, I dont know how to work out how much you need to incerase the weight by. If you can "feel" the bounce then you can maybe increase the weight and feel if the bounce is gone. But that is pretty risky.. If you increaes the weight by too much you are going to get the slam effect again as the piston is then too heavy and moving the pellet before it reaches the end of the stroke.

and yes to add to what Tim is saying. a stonger spring will have the same effect as a heavier tophat wit the added advantage of not increasing lock time as a heavier tophat will do

Dunno if it will help or just confuse
    Last edited by JTK; 11-05-08 at 10:13.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

As far as having my faith restored - the fact that I have fixed the rifle is not the issue.
    I always believed the rifle was capable of better results.
    It has taken hours and hours of research, and stripping the rifle 3 times (No easy job on this gun) to get to the bottom of the problem and I paid top dollar for it, because it was supposed to have been tuned already.
    The only faith I have restored is my ability to sort out a problem. ( I do have a reputation for being pretty tenatious with stuff like that. Am a virgo - need thing to work right or I toss them)...
    And in the end the problem was exactly where i suspected it was - contrary to public opinion at that time.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JT - you are spot on. Am going to do some more research on it from the engineering side and see if I can come up with a way of calculating it. Lots of variables involved, but will see if I can simplify it a bit. Not today though. Going to get lots of shooting in - weather is excellent and my wife has to work. Will wait for a rainy day...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sweet! take the 30 for a spin an let me know how she fares.