Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating, drinking and stability.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Eating, drinking and stability.

Does anyone other than me feel that there is a direct correlation between stability and the food or drink which is consumed within a certain timeframe before a shoot?

I have found that the strong coffee that I enjoy, gives me the shakes and really messes with my stability so much so that I have to reduce my magnification to try and steady up for tricky reducer shots. The obvious thing to do is to not drink coffee before a shoot but I am convinced that coffee isn't the only thing that can hamper performance.

I have read lots of literature which suggests that fitness is paramount but how then are so many good shots who are overweight coping, I,m sure it helps but the extent remains unclear I am not particularly unfit and dont have a boep.

Another interesting thing to note is that some guy's can show up for a shoot after a good night of partying and actually benifit from being tired with mild dehydration from their favourite tipple but on occasion when I have had a late night I feel somewhat hampered.

Has anyone experienced this and if so have you found a solution?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Found a heavy meal (fatty) to be the best to sabalise you.

I stay away from coke for at least 24hrs before a shoot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yeah, coke is nasty stuff, I drink coke light which in retrospect has the same caffiene content and packs a punch.

24 hours you say?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

More worried about the sugar content.i also only drink the lite.

Piet has told me fizzy drinks mess with your eyes.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I find that if I don't have breakfast before a shoot, I cant concentrate and in some cases have light shakes...

Caffine makes your heart beat faster which should cause a more pronounced pulse (For a short period of time after consuming it), which will make you less accurate, especially standing shots.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Your blood sugar, is the main culprit here. Stay away from anything that can give you a sudden swing to either side, high, or low, as both will give you the shakes.

I try and eat something that wil sustain me over a long period, and that releases slowly over a longer period, such as pasta in the evening to carboload, and then low GI bread for consuption before, and during shoots. Never underestimate the power, and goodness of an banana, during shoots. The reason that you should stay away from Coke and sweets before, and during a shoot, is the very high concentrate of sugar, and that can cause your bloodsugar to rise very sharply, causing your body to respond, by pumping addrenalin into your veins, and subsequintly, saying to your hart, pump faster. "fight, or flight" syndrome. A sudden change in bloodsugar, affects your eyes first, and that is also not beneficial to good shooting.

Alcohol, uses a lot of bloodsugar, causing babalas, and aslo the shakes that goes with it. It also affects your liver, and kidneys, vital organs, for the sustainment of a healthy body. Some people that tend to be very nervous before a shoot, claim that it help them to settle, if they take a stiff one. But the older you get, the more it actually affects you.

Stay with what your body is used to, and don't overload with anything that can cause a sudden swing.

Drink a lot of water, or a bit of Energade, during a shoot, so that you do not start to de hidrate. Never shoot, when your'e hungry. It is your body's way of saying to you that you should replenish it. And if you don't do it, it start shaking.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I made the mistake of drinking a red bull before a shoot to overcome a late nght. Boy was that a mistake. Shot 50% of what I normally get. The thing is not to do anything radical. Don't change from what you normally do.
    The only way to get alcohol out of your system is time and "Prohep" for your liver to help it metabolise the alcohol. Fatty foods may settle your stomach, but you will probably still have the shakes if it is not something you do regularly. Most of the other stuff are just old wives tales. (If you binge too regularly obviously that would become destructive)..
    Water, and lots of it, at regular intervals, is the next best thing.
    It's mostly about metabolism and oxygen levels, and every person is different in their ability to cope with this type of stress. Those who drink regularly are likely to recover quicker because their bodies are accustomed to it.
    To shoot well your aerobic energy system needs to supply oxygen and fuel to the necessary muscles (as opposed to weight lifting which requires anaerobic energy). The best fuels for this are cabohydrates (not sugar- it needs to be in slow release form), fats and water.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Snap - Piet...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

interesting post.. I believe it or not have a glas or two of water for breakfast before a shoot. and make sure I stay hidrated during the shoot. food tends to want blood to digest it. I sure as hell need all the help and clarity I can get so I tend to not give it food to digest. at most I will have some cereal(again low GI type stuff high in fibre) to stop the possible hunger. I rather eat after the shoot. seems to help me anyways..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I always drink a glass or bottle of water with coffee and never have experienced any problems. My brother in-law is a physician and he always tells me "u are what you s%$t.... Most things are good for you in moderation.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Piet's right on the money with his recommendations.

I avoid any drink that contains caffeine before or during the shoot and generally favour a breakfast of cereal (ideally a muesli) but no added sugar and no eating during the shoot, and drink plain water only.

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Very interesting what everyone has mentioned about eating and drinking before or during a shoot. Usually in the morning, if it's one of our club shoots, it's far too early to have anything half decent to eat, so away you go with a cup of coffee which by the time we've set up and start shooting has has a chance to work through.The problem comes half way through the course when cravings start getting the better of you and thereith goes the visual clarity as well.
    I think definately something that will give you a slow energy release such as fruit should be a plus and not send the body into a sugar rush as you try to digest when you should be concentrating on your shots.
    Then again, i think being in a general good physical shape (fitness) should help and not varying too much from what your body is used too...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I've found that a solid (but not industrial size) breakfast/meal at least 2 hours before the shoot with an apple & banana at the start of the shoot works best for me. With some Energade or Rooibos whenever..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Another interesting thing to note is that some guy's can show up for a shoot after a good night of partying and actually benifit from being tired with mild dehydration from their favourite tipple but on occasion when I have had a late night I feel somewhat hampered.

Ask Deon, he is the master of drinking the previous night and shooting the next day... He says it helps him shake of the shakes...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinkoppi View Post

Ask Deon, he is the master of drinking the previous night and shooting the next day... He says it helps him shake of the shakes...
    Doesn't Arnold have the same theory?