Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range finding in diferent conditions

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Default Range finding in diferent conditions

This is something that boggles me somewhat...

At one of the club competitions i dropped a target which according to my parallax wheel was at 48m. the very next week at another range, I rangefind to 45/46 m but was shooting about 2" low. Playing with the turret it was bang on at 48m. What changed? A few of us have theories about differing lighting conditions, temp (possibly affecting mechanics of scope?)etc, but to me it does not make sense - turret can't "just change" and can't be my eyes as other shooters were experiencing similar discrepencies.

In competition, I can't afford to have any unknowns on the day - between 45m to 48m there is quite a drop-off in trajectory. This is a missed shot at that range and one less point on the scorecard.

Has enyone had similar experience - what is your take on this.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What are the chances you were a revolution out (Thats no.1 on my trouble shooting list when dialing in)? I do think that lighting condtions should play quite a role in parallax range finding,but am too new to FT to have had any experince with it.

What were the experinces with the guys shooting FT at Wetton last weekend?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Curt, very interesting subject indeed. It all comes down to the light that enters your scope to the eye. It changes all the time, meaning that earlier the light seems to be cool. Later on a hot day it becomes sharp. In cloudy conditions in change again. Some times the target is in the shade and you in the sun and sometimes the other way around. All this conditions is the cause to different range finding. Now, different glass on your rifle can better the changes.
    I see you are using a Sun shade on the big Nikko. That also cause lesser light to come in.
    What i'm saying is that we experience this daily in comps. The Leupold scope I use now is excellent for this type of problem. The light filtration is so good that I never rangefind far out as to say 1.5m at 50m in any codition.
    So okay, your solution is to find out the hard way. Mark out a range in 50m. Keep a diary, make notes on what distances you get in what conditions. Even on a rainy day. Now you will know when you came across a certain condition what to expect. This all boils down to know your equipment and where you stand to all the possible conditions.
    That's also to know where you poi will be at certain temps and times of the day. Sorry but there's no easier way. Know you equipment.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Another thing that can help you Curt will be shooting glasses. I use sodium vapour covered glasses that balance out the incoming light and I can really say that it also improve my range finding skills.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Curt, I can guarantee you 100% that it is not the range finding, but the air density change, due to temp, humidity, and barometric press changes, to name a few, that influenced your POI change. I made a study of this phenomanon, over the last year and a half.

I shoot on a range, in my backyard, from 10m - 50m, and see it happen everytime that I shoot, especialy at this time of the year. You might be out by a metre or two, range finding in different light conditions. But that won't throw you out by as much as 25mm, as is the case with enfironmental changes. And believe me, it can change in a matter of minutes.

My range, is set out at every metre, so I cannot blame it on faulty range finding.

Welcome to the strange world of airrifles. I tried every brand available in our Country, and they all suffer from the same phenomanon.

I can say this to you, If it is cold, and the humidity is normally higher, then you will shoot high, due to the air density been lower, due to a combination of low temp, and high humidity. Humid air is less dense than dry air, hence the higher velocity, and less resistance for the pellet in flight, thus a higher POI. It sounds the wrong way round, but that is how it is.

Golden rule. If you can feel the cold, then normally you will aim lower, to counter this effect. As the day temp rises, aim towards the centre of the killzone.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Piet .I can only say 1 thing.You can feel the cold all day now

It seems my gun has settled for now.I hope it stays there for nationals.

Below 11.5 deg is bad for me and my setup.

What is important to know is that it is not a gun issue but rather an enviromental issue.

Believe me when I say if you shoot mil dots you will not pick it up often.Dialing you pick it up in a shotot 2.That is my finding so far.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I think what Curt is refering to is that 48m rangefinded in the sun may rangefind 44m overcast in the rain. We were sitting on a 50m range saterday in the rain and Andrew ranged the back target as 44m. This target certainly seemed closer to 50m. So what I believe Curt is saying is that you dont hit lower but rather rangefind wrong in different conditions. Right Curt?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Exactly what I explained JTK. Piet just moved to the next point too fast. First sort out the range finding problem before moving to poi shift.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. Goose, 1st I need a scope

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

JTK there is a lot to be said for how you range find.In darker conditions you tend to range shorter distances.Keep that in mind.Learn what and how your scope reacts to different light conditions.

Focus on the crosshair.then bring the target into focus with the cross hair.Its obvious .But I did it wrong for a long time.(Thanks Piet for showing me the right way)

try get focus on something with good contrast.Targets can be tricky.try focus on the tree the target is nailed to.Or focus on the grass surrounding the target.That helps me a lot to get consistant ranges.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Valid point Allan. I am still trying to avoid focusing on the target, and to concentrate on the cross hairs. Hope to pick up more tricks from you guys this weekend. The more tricks I can pass down the quicker we can all catch up.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Allan. yes I need input like that as I am also on of the buggers that focusses on the target

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Thanks for the really good feedback. I have unfortunately do not have a 50m back yard (wish i did though!) and have not had that much time on the range in such varying conditions. Guess its good to hear from those who have been there and have the experience. Next time i will try keeping records of range conditions and try to correlate this to POI's. Same goes for the range finding which i think for me is the important one - at a comp, you can always get a pretty good idea where you shooting during sighting-in, as far as the range finding goes, will have to check lighting conditions against marked distances especially at 35m+
    I think the more info you are armed with, the better to understand your rifle/scope setup - should definately help at comps and also... lots of practice.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

curt, hows the nappy drill going?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

WILL RAISER BLOCKS/MOUNTS HELP ? ...ON DISTANCES OVER 40M ? ...DOES IT FLATTEN THE ARCH/TRAJECTORY ON LONGER RANGES ?