Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Mitchell Custom Stock Building

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default James Mitchell Custom Stock Building

Hi

I've completed a custom stock for my CZ200S and set up a web site (sort of in progress) where I am documenting some details of the building process. Have a look at my site at: http://www.freewebs.com/mitchejc

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

WELL DONE, I THINK IT LOOKS STUNNING !!!!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Very nice.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is really helpful info! Site looks very nice, too

Len's Avatar Len

Very Nice!!!

I would like to try my hand at making a composite thumbhole stock for my CZ200s

Have you given that any thought mitch?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I'll add info to the sections as time permits.

Len, when you say composites what do you mean? Are you talking about carbon fibre or something similar?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That is one nice piece of wood, that grain with highlights looks awesome. Never heard of ironwood though - very hard presumably?
    Great workmanship there mitchejc.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

very nice!!! i have heard that iron wood is extreamly hard though!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks
    Yep ironwood is pretty tough to work with and kind of smelly ?sort of sweet. Smells ok initially but after 35 hours of intimate interaction with this piece of wood, choking down huge amounts of powdery dust, the smell got to me. Even after oiling the smell?s still there. Can see a new stock project on the horizon and it does not include ironwood. Maybe something more classic in steamed beach?

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

awsome dude, submitted a thread a while back about custom stocks n was wonderin, i see u cut 2 seperate pieces of wood, is that the easiest way or just ur way? i was thinkin of working my way from one pieece n shaping from internals from my original stock!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Awesome!
    The approach is great & by the looks of it Mitch is a seeriaas Weirauch needtohaveone fan. The work is great. By the look of the tools u are well rigged and kitted to do this type of work. What did u use as template guide for the breech receiver and breech retaining nut?

Your work has inspired me to start with my next 200S experiment. A laminated Aluminium stock.

Stoffie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i can't wait to see the result.............i might just be inspired to do an alu Bam

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

i like this idea of building stocks, all guns looking different and in some cases perfectly customized to ur way of shooting! he he, we gonna start making the hardware stores and wood salesman rich, he he. dont think that dive shops thought that some of their customers came from shooting either, he he!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

psychoSven - Yep, the sort of two-piece approach is only one I came up with on the CZ. I?m in the IT industry and the approach is normally ?Divide an conquer? J On a one piece I?m sure its possible to make the cutout for the receiver body but the problem is drilling the +- 25cmx 28mm hole for the cylinder accurately. Maybe you could go for something similar to the way the AA4000 works, in other words no wood above the cylinder.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Stoffeltoo - Didn't realize I was that obvious. Yet, just another guy with a Weirauch taste and a CZ budget... :-)
    Aluminum stock sounds absolutely fabulous. Got no metal working tools though. Wonder if I can get router bits that will chow aluminum... I also thought of something in Alu but were thinking more along the lines of a really hi-tech look with everything adjustable - maybe something consisting of a snazzy looking space frame consisting of laser cut components with sub frames that hold everything together. Should be too difficult technically but its going to take an awful lot of time in something like RhynoCad3d to prepare the DXF?s for the laser cut people.