Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swaged barrel?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default swaged barrel?

while reading a catalogue i got from the aim show...........

it reckons the EV2's got rotary swaged barrel, what's that?
    is't where the rifling is cut instead of hammer/forged?

now i also read in a review that BSA barrels are cold-swaged. what is this cold swaged?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i read that the swaging allowes air arms to produce a higher quility barrel but dont know any thing else.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

are anschutz barrels used in steyrs also rotary swaged?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

EV2 barrel is made by CZ...same as the S200 barrel and yes it is swaged.

The Anschutz barrels on the new FT Steyrs are optimized by twist rate and length to shoot at 12 - 18ft/lbs.
    The 50M test targets supplied with each rifle confirm this

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

EV2 barrels are optimized for 12ft/lbs to 80m, they found that if it's accurate at 80 it will always be accurate at 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10.
    Looking at the World FT champs from last year (and based on the fact that AA sells 20 a month and Steyr mass produce and sells hundreds) the EV2 performed very well, featuring much more than the Steyr.

Oh yes, no test target with the EV2, the barrels are made properly, no need to provide u with a piece of paper with 1 hole punched on it. Anyway, 80m is far to walk.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

:rude:
    Note that the Steyrs are much more accurate now that they have real barrels on them

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    why not add a real gun to your selection, buy the NJR from me.
    With a real FT gun you'll see amazing increases in your FT scores.
    Moving from a Steyr to a NJR will be much like moving from a S200 to a EV2, it's built to perform, not adjust.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

See everyone went off on a Tangent there Urabus. I also looked into this barrel thing when I bought my EV2. I'm not exactly sure how they manufacture a barrel, even though I was an Armourer in the Navy, but the swaging process involves a series of dies mounted to a carrier fitted into the barrel and then passed down it until the twist and depth are cut to requirements. It took me a long time to find the site and I ddin't keep it, sorry.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

considering I cleared the course at our last FT shoot how I will I see an amazing increase in scores hehehe?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks brian,

any difference between cold & rotary swaged?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Damned if I know....??See this: Swaging is a method of reducing or shaping metal from either a solid or tubular form. This is accomplished by feeding the work piece into rotating dies which deliver a rapid series of hammer blows to the work surface. Cold Swaging produces a higher tensile strength in finished parts due to cold work, while hot swaging produces a grain refinement which also results in an increase in tensile strength.
    Next question?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If u cleared the course all it proves is that the Steyr is capable of producing 40mm groupings at 50m (like your test target showed you) ...
    U cleared the course, tell me more about the course ... reducers, up and down hill, positional, 40 targets to push your concentration ... BEATEN BY A BAAAAAAM :messed: :shoot:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

tks bud

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

http://www.hmp.com/eng/methods/swaging.html
    Gives you a little insight into the processes.