Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 x Air Rifles for Field Target

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Default 2 x Air Rifles for Field Target

Is it not worth the money to have 2 FT rifles?

we had 2 people who had big problems with their rifles during the national shoot, at least one of them had a chance to make the team.

Brian has 2 rifles and that is all that i know of. so what do you do? a spare rifle sounds like a good thing.

what happens when you bump or drop your rifle? you are not allowed to go re sight in but you are allowed to go get another rifle?????????

makes you think.........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Eish! thats lots of $$$$$ just for "in case"!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

doesnt gerrie also have two 400's? and Goose as well? Ithink there are a lot of people with more than one rifle they could use for FT. the question is would they? and the extra $$ for good glass on the other one also may be prohibitive? Ooo and lets not forget about Guido. he come to every shoot with a different race gun

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Depends how much "winning" means to you I suppose. A good backup like the S400 would be better than nothing. Yes it is a lot of extra money, but put it in perspective - We often say our sport is expensive, but a friend of mine is into scottish music and his bagpipes cost 10k to 30K.
    I feel if you are serious and can have a spare - you should - if you can't then make sure you have tissues for when something goes wrong, because at some stage it will, specially if you just get a new rifle. Don't sell the old one immediately.
    Last edited by tomcat; 20-05-08 at 08:08.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

see the thing is I aggree.. the question is will it be a good idea to use a different make/model as backup? especially if you have been practicing with exibit A for the last few years.. I mean you may as well borrow someone elses rifle?

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Depends how much "winning" means to you I suppose. A good backup like the S400 would be better than nothing.

Geez Tomcat that hurt!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Borrowing is all very well, but not reliable. Often it is not there when you really need it, or it is not setup the way you would like. Ideally one should practice a certain amount with the "backup" as well, just to stay in touch with it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry importer, I didn't mean to put the 400 down. After all if you have an EV2 then the backup could be a "lowly" 400 to save some money.
    If your main rifle is a 400 then a 200 would be the backup.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK,
    No not so. I have two s400s, one my daughter uses, and a PT. We can both shoot equally well with either of the 3 decent rifles I have, in fact. We practice with all three from time to time, so we are fimiliar with all of them. The Gammo we use to play cricket with, so we are fimiliar with it aswell
    If winning is the only object to participate in sport you should stop it in any case or make it your job, because working is not a pleasure and sport should be.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Besides I learnt the hard way this weekend. Main rifle not working the way I expected, so had a backup - but no scope on it. Ouch
    Also thought I had arranged a loaner, but when I went to use it, someone else who had a problem had already got there before me, so plan B went out the window. Believe me, at that stage someone with a solution could have bent my credit card badly....ha ha Boo Hoo

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Gerrie, it depends on the level of the shoot. It's also only enjoyable if you CAN shoot. It's not much fun sitting and watching when you thought you were going to shoot.

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Tomcat you should have called I would quite happily have bent your credit card for you. he he he he.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've got my Dommie, but can always use my 200 ''IF'' something should go wrong. Not as accurate but better than nothing, and much better than all the frustration...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would have Louis, If only I had remembered to load the JHB maps in my GPS before coming up, so that I could find you. Seems one needs a backup for anything technological...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the more complicated the action, the greater the possibility of a problem - admittedly this is much less an issue nowadays, but in the early days of regulated actions quite common. At the end of the day it is still a mechanical device and no matter how good its pedigree might be it can go wrong - usually at the most inconvenient moment.

The idea of having a second action is not unusual, but as pointed out this can be a costly exercise.

The reliability issue is one reason why the simplicity of a more basic action can be an asset rather than a 'disadvantage'.