Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which stock is most comfortable

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default Which stock is most comfortable

I know this is another very subjective post but here goes.. As you know I am sitting with a piece of imbuia that will be turned into a, hopefully, masterpiece for my 400carbine. I am thinking of making a PT but also realy like the look of a MPR. That said I am realy open to any piece of stock. Even a replica of the stock 400 stock as it feels, other then the cheeck piece, 100% to me. so the question is, as I can make it into anything I suppose, what stock cofiguration and for what reason is the best to you? And of course I am not interested in the platform as we know the 400 platfor is superior

Thanks,
    JT

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The PT,MPR and EV is very similar.

For me - adjustable cheekpiece and pistol grip with a deepish fore-end.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I am not even worried about the cheeck piece anymore as I saw how easy it is to fit it. I just used hard foam, shaped the right shape and glued leather over it. works a charm and probably more comfortable than a piece of wood... Also. I shoot off my arm not my knee so a round stock probably works better than flat. And I have also been toying with the idea of making a vertical hamster that will fit in the fold of my arm and add to the vertical stability of the rifle. But haven bee able to figure out the best way to do it as the hamster would need to be under the trigger almost

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I do aggree on the pistol grip. maybe a thumbhole will give me the same effect

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

MPR style no doubt...dont bother with thumbhole

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sweet. was leaning that way myself! Nice simple yet elegant design. And the cylinder is nice and floating. Supported at the front or not?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi JTK
    I saw the pictures of the wood very its nice. Just a word of caution-prob something you do know so im stating the obvious wood for any stock need to be dried for a certian amount of time- good turkish Walnut can take upto 7 years. A certian amount of warpadge WILL happen. also depending where it was grown. Wild olive from natal can almost not be used on anything before its been stabalized because of all the drying movement. I dont know the history of the wood and if its an offcut. But investing many hours on a project that might have a fatal flaw in it could be heartbreaking. Just my two cents

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Andries, you are of course 100% correct. The piece looks like it has been lying there for some time as it was warped already. I planed it square again. She also, even though weighing a ton, does not appear to be wet at all. I think another way may be to throw the wood in the bath for a day and then take it out and leave it for a month. that way the wood will be dry Nothing like water to dry out a piece of wood!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The cylinder is rested at the front, do not go thumbhole but rather thumb up.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

do not go thumbhole but rather thumb up
    hehe sure plan too.

what are the main diffs between the pt and mpr stocks? mpr smaller and lighter?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My fatal flaw is always stating the obvious-lol anyway maybe someone out there didnt know that ha ha. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Can only be awesome

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

the mpr has a inlet for the pressure gauge

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Andries, not at all. Even if I knew then next guy may not have and be pissed when his new 200hour job starts to warp. that said. I realy dont know for sure if she is dry enough. does anyone know how long a piece of imbuia should dry?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Its a dense heavy wood- it will take time- honestly Id leave it in the garage for atleast a year....sorry for being a stick in the mud. Im just thinking if you bolt an action and a barrel and a air chamber onto that and it decides to move....eina kan n man mos skade aanrig

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Arnold.. so MPR is wat ek soek!

very very true! that said. I will keep an eye on her and see if she warps more through the next month. Also maybe track someone down with a moisture measuring device to test it for me.